Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,
I have several questions as I am preparing to start my first (2) conversions on a Survivor and than my 17 Sportster.
Although these are pretty basic, I want to make sure I don't trash either of these projects.

I just bought a Survivor 308 and planning on swapping the Blk synthetic butt stock off of my Sportster and move over onto the Survivor.
* What are the steps t pull the recoil pad and access the butt stock bolt to remove the stock?
* Should this bolt & Fit right to my Survivor or will I need to alter (shave,etc.)?
* In reading some of the posts on painting stocks, it seems unanimous that Krylon rules. Is this fairly easy to accomplish as a first timer and get good results? I want to shoot this in an OD Green or similar with Blk Spider webbing.

Moving to the Sportster conversion-
Once I have completed the Survivor, I am planning to backfill the 17HMR purchasing a Laminated stock from wither HR1817 or Gunstocks Inc.
Do you guys know how you can get detailed info from H&R1817 regarding their stock models for the Sportster? Do you have to request a catalog as I would like to upgrade this unit with a T/Hole and Roll-over cheek piece in either the Autumn or Camo green laminate.

Thanks in advance for any help in these areas,

NEF17

·
Registered
533 Posts
I've never seen this mentioned.

Anytime you re-assemble something made of plastic, slide the screw in and slowly and gently turn it /backwards/ (left) while feeling for a click. That click is the thread finding the groove. Don't get sloppy. If you have the slightest doubt about the bite, turn the screw a few more times and find the groove. Don't put pressure on the screw. When you have it lined up, very gently turn it to the right. No pressure. If the screw is lined up, it will slide right in.

NEVER put a lot of torque on a screw going into plastic or you will either strip the hole or break the plastic.

Turn the screw gently and stop as soon as you feel it hit bottom. Check for fit.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I put a set of the laminated stocks like on the 22mag ultra on my 17 hmr and it made it a whole different gun with the synthetic stocks my sportster it was muzzle heavy and unbalanced and for me did not point well with the laminated stock it is a well balance rifle you just need a phillips screwdriver and a ratchet with a long extension and 9/16th socket
Roy

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
You'll also need a shorter bolt, the Survivor bolt is too long for the wood/lam stocks, info is all in the FAQs as Cowboy mentioned, including help on how to install the stock without crossthreading the bolt. ;)

Tim

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yep, on the shorter bolt. I just got a new bolt and used it when I went to a Monte Carlo stock for my Survivor. Took the old one out and went to the hardware store. It was easy to match up.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts

I put a pallet wood factory stock and forend on my Sportster.
It doesn't look half bad. A lot better than the tupperware stock
and forend that comes from the factory. I plan on refinishing
the wood with Tru Oil soon like I did for my 223 Bull.

Robert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts