Graybeard Outdoors banner

First recurve kill

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  burntmuch 
#1 ·
Been hunting with my recurve for a week or so. A martin jaguar 45 lbs. shooting instinctive. Dialed in to about 20 yards. So I pt a 15 yard limit for game. Fat doe about 12 yards. Perfect shot , right behind the shoulder. Piled up about 60 yards.
First one with the recurve. Wow. Been awhile since I had buck fever like that.

#3 ·
Congratulations. I'm glad you did it with a recurve. those are the most beautiful bows made.

#6 ·
I started out with a 45 lb recurve bow in 1971 which was a decade before compound bows became widely distributed. It was built by the Wing Archery Company and I found it to be reasonably accurate at 20 yards when I did my part. Three dandy bucks were taken with three shots over a 5 year span of time. I hunted with cedar shafts by Bear and broadheads by the same company. My back quiver and shooting tab were distributed by Martin which is another old time archery company. By the mid-1980's, all my buddies had switched over to various compound bows but in contrast I had a custom recurve bow built for me by Owen Jeffrey. This 55 lb bow was like a dream come true as it shot much better than my older Wing. But an accident in the '90s shattered my right elbow and my recurve shooting days were over. After our new century began, I made the switch to a scoped Ten Point crossbow and never looked back. I sent it back to the factory just once for a trigger release device replacement and for a cracked limb. Both items covered under their generous warranty.

Admittedly, archery shooting with my crossbow is not nearly as much fun as it was with my recurve bow. So it goes.

TR

#7 ·
Wow this post is almost a year old. I hunt out of a tree stand. As far as the recurve, well I'm hooked. I'm using a predator recurve at 52 lbs. dialed in at 25 yards. So 20 yards for game. Having a blast shooting it. My 11 y/o son is shooting a 35 lb October mountain recurve.. So lots of time spent in the basement at our 15 yard range. He wanted to hunt with recurve this year , but he's not quite dialed in yet. So he will hunt with a compound this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.