Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 760 Remington, in 300Savage. It was made near as I can figure in 1953. my question is are theses things collectible. I would as it,s in great shape for the age. good bore all it's blue and the wood is in great shape. the stock seem like it's for iron sights and it's not drilled and tapped for a scope.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Some folks do collect them. It's a small group or so it seems to me.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I think the value of the your M760 in .300 Savage well vary depending on the region.

While popular in the far West in the 1950’s and 1960’s the model 760 and later 7600 started sliding in new gun popularity in the late 60’s. Visiting the big gun stores in the West and you might see one or two M7600 rifles now days compared to a hundred bolt actions.

Old hunters in the Over the Hill Gang, such as I my have more sentimental attachment to the lesser M760 chambering. Based on three M760 rifles I have encountered in recent history I believe the price is around $300. My brother purchased a low serial # .300 Savage with scope for $300 this spring. A box of blacken cartridges loaded with Winchester hollow points came with the rifle. Brother felt that was the only ammunition fire in the will kept rifle. I am sure my brother was drawn to the .300 Savage because he hunted with a M99 in .300 Savage. And the rifle he graduated to was a M760.

I am discussed with my self for failing to purchase a like new .300 Savage in the M760 and couple of years ago. It was untapped; factory sights, and appeared unused. Price $295.

The third one has been on the rack of a local gun store for a least a year. It is badly beaten, and rusted. Asking price is $295.

I think your rifle has three values depending on the buyer, collectible, nostalgic, and hunting. For me rifle one and two has both nostalgic and hunting value. Rifle three was junk.

A rough day for me would be to have the money in my pocket to buy one rifle, and be confronted with M760 rifles in .222, .257 Roberts, .244 Remington, .300 Savage and .35 Remington.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Siskiyou said:
A rough day for me would be to have the money in my pocket to buy one rifle, and be confronted with M760 rifles in .222, .257 Roberts, .244 Remington, .300 Savage and .35 Remington.
A rough day yes, but one I would like to be faced with! ;D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts