Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just thought I'd post my first attempt at a camo paint job on an AR10 variant. Used Aluma Hyde II, I have used this paint on gun stocks before, and some various small parts such as bases and rings, but never tried a camo job on a rifle before. Took a few days. Used the gas grill in the pole barn to help cure the paint in between coats. Aluma Hyde takes forever to cure if you don't help it with some heat. Anyway, next time I'll use my paint sprayer and compressor and buy paint out of a can. Changing nozzles in the spray cans when they get plugged up is a real pain.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,135 Posts
I would say you did a very nice job on that AR. did you have any templets or is that all free hand?

Deaconllb

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Deaconllb, I purchased a set of stencils from an outfit called freedomstencils.com. made out of some kind of vinal that can take enough heat to bake between coats. They worked real well, and peeled off quite easily when I finished the different coats of paint. I did the whole rifle in an FDE base coat, then baked and cured. Added stencils, painted the next coat, baked and cured, added the last set of stencils, painted, baked and cured, lightly sanded with very fine paper to take down some of the edges, re-cleaned all surfaces, put a coat of clear coat over everything and baked and cured again. Used Coyote, and parkerizing gray for the other two colors. Probably could have gone a bit darker with the base coat, maybe dark earth, but it didn't turn out too badly. Had to get the first one out of the way, I think I can improve on the next one. I was just getting sick of looking at all that black.
The set of stencils cost me around 50 bucks, but even with the spray cans it was much cheaper than sending it out for a few hundred, and I had fun doing it.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I'd say that looks dang nice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts