Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive never had any trouble with a Contender until today. Bought a new one about a week ago in pistol version with a 30-30 barrel on it. Traded the 30-30 off for a .22 Match barrel as Ive been wantin a good squirell gun and have a stock on the way. Figured today Id fire a few through it just for lack of anything better to do (who needs an excuse to shoot anyway?) First round went in the chamber, cocked it, squeezed the trigger....snap. Ok....bad shell right? Nope...firing pin never met the rim of the .22 shell. Broke it open and tried 3 more time before it actually fired. 2nd round....same thing....3rd round...same thing and the 4th and 5th rounds. Started to get really worried then numbers 6-50 fired off just fine. Never had this happen before....I know it wasnt the shells cause there were no dents in the rims of the first few, then everything seemed to just start working like it should. Anyone else ever experience this before?

·
Registered
289 Posts
See the discussion on this board titled "Contender won't fire" sounds like you had a sticky interlock. Mine did the exact same thing, but I had to use a little cleaner to unstick it. sounds like yours loosened itself up after being opened and closed a few times. I'd get some spray cleaner (lots on the market, and although I'll probably get some strong reaction to this, I use carb&choke cleaner) flood the whole thing to really clean it up, then use a dry lubricant.
Helicopter Bill

·
Registered
692 Posts
I had one a few years back do that to me and I sent it in to TC. Don't know what the problem turned out to be but they sent me a new reciever. The barrel was the old one I sent to them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had the same problem with .223 , I use aresol disc brake cleaner because it leaves no residue ,drys quickly and as best I can tell wont hurt the blue on my gun .

·
Banned
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I agree Bill.....

Needs a good cleaning to get everything broke loose in there....I guess we dont take in consideration that the "new" frames we buy may have been sitting on a shelf somewhere for a year or more before we get em, some of that stuff is bound to get gummy inside there. Thanks for the opinions.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Contender won't fire?

I know I'm not supposed to ask this..but you did move the position of the firin-pin to rim-fire didn't you? It wont fire a 22lr if you dont. I made the mistake once when I was in a hurry. It cost me a squirrel. I took my frustration out on the next one!

·
Banned
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:) Yeah I had the firing pin selector in the right position. I think it was also because I wasnt snapping the barrel shut, along with the fact that things were just a little stiff inside and needed to be worked loose. I had anothe session today from a rest and open sights at 25 yards and it fired 30 rounds wioth no problems. Nice little ragged 3/8" groups. :grin: Ought ta be a 50 yard one-holer when I get the scope and shoulder stock on it.

·
Banned
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those groups were obtaind with Federal Gold Medal Match ammo by the way, and thanks! Ive always had good results with the Federal GMM ammo. Its consistent from box to box and very little adjustment needed from lot to lot. I usually buy it by the brick. been a while since I bought a brick cause I moved into a city :( and havent been able to shoot near as much, (amazin what a fella will do for love :roll: ) but if I remember right a brick goes for $18-$20.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts