Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well something that is big in Minn., during Lent, is now kaput.

I went to a fish fry last weekend, that used to be fantastic, smelt & Pollock. It had been decades since I was at the one last and it will be a long time before I go back.
Fish was way, way, way over battered and greasy. Pieces were small.
Smelt OK but the most common price for a fish fry up here now is 12 bucks, you expect to get some thing worth 12 bucks.
This would have been the big week, end where with in a fifty mile radius you could go to from three to six fish fries.
From Ash Wednesday till the Friday before Palm Sunday, there are some every weekend some where.

A few years back there was even far more but some stopped.
A few RC churches have one every Friday, in larger towns, and now it seems every restaurant has one during Lent at least. That probably put the hurt on some of the church ones.
In my home town three that used to be are now gone.

Pollock is the standard but some have Bullheads (those draw a LOT of people), Sunfish, or Cod as a second fish.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Just about every restaurant or bar around here has a Friday night fish fry. Quality ranges from excellent (Walleye, Perch, shrimp at one of the bars) to terrible (a gob of batter with a smidgen of fish in the middle). All are expensive and come with more fries than fish.

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most of those here are all you can eat, are yours said same?
Price is equal to most non-fast food restaurants but Culver's , which I just had, is heads and tails best fast food out there, BUT it is not all you can eat.
For 12 bucks you get 3 pieces of cod, a bit higher for Walleye; as good as it is, just niot as nice a deal as all you can eat for 12 bucks.

I am surprised not all of the Church ones put it on line, but if you go to some of the very old school restaurants, laundromat or even garden/yard equip. shops around here they still have cork boards to pin up your event and there you will find fliers for all those within x miles.

Now that in the past few years, with so many of the restaurants having started Friday Fish Fry buffets, they are going to be taking a BIG, BIG hit now that Minn. has shut down all restaurants except carry out.
Ditto for the Legions and VFWs that have them also.
One place is run by elderly people, including waitresses.
It is just an old fashioned family restaurant but they have daily specials; cash only and they close at eight P.M.
All it takes is something like this for them to say , To **** with this -- and close shop.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Friday fish is a year round thing here. With everything shut down besides carry out we did our own fish fry tonight. My last pack of bluegills, french fries, coleslaw, and rye bread. Next week will have to be cod unless I can get to the river for walleye.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Decades since you went? Really? Don't think that thinks have changed, including your taste buds? I have a VERY good buddy in Wisconsin that loves the weekly and seasonal fish fries in his region.

My hunting licence cost a **** of a lot less "a couple of decades ago" too. I wouldn't sneeze at 12 bucks for such a dinner. Some people just like to ***** (insert female dog there)

My suggestion....DONT GO BACK FOR A FEW MORE DECADES!

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Decades since you went? Really? Don't think that thinks have changed, including your taste buds? I have a VERY good buddy in Wisconsin that loves the weekly and seasonal fish fries in his region.

My hunting licence cost a **** of a lot less "a couple of decades ago" too. I wouldn't sneeze at 12 bucks for such a dinner. Some people just like to ***** (insert female dog there)

My suggestion....DONT GO BACK FOR A FEW MORE DECADES!
I won't, there are a LOT of others that could not be worse and from ones I have been to in the past thirty plus years, none were.
One should not have to pull off globs of greasy batter to find the fish, but if that fits your style, I can tell where it will be again next year.

Most are pretty good, a few excellent, but some of the best have stopped.

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Friday fish is a year round thing here. With everything shut down besides carry out we did our own fish fry tonight. My last pack of bluegills, french fries, coleslaw, and rye bread. Next week will have to be cod unless I can get to the river for walleye.
We have places here too, that every Friday is fish nite, but some of the Church ones are the ones that people eagerly wait a year for.
Two weeks ago, we went to one that was well spoken of but when we got there , the sign on the door said, "Out of fish.".
I asked some people leaving how it was and they said it is always good but this year they did a really good job.
They drove 40 miles to get there.

Others were pulling as we left; we went to an old stand-by a few miles away out in the boonies, a restaurant, that does it every Friday and told the waitress that the one we came from was out of fish.
She said that is not uncommon with that one.
The quality of the fish from her place can vary from mediocre to excellent all in one night, but usually is not bad.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Around here, it's 10 bucks, all the fish you can eat...

Some are better than others, but there's plenty of good ones.

DM

·
Registered
706 Posts
Local VFW has an excellent Friday night fish fry. Sit down and all you could eat cod, or nice sized takeout dinners.

Last Friday they had set up the dine-in tables but a big jump in Michigan coronavirus cases caused the Governor to close restaurants and large gatherings. We did takeout.

Big jump in Michigan cases today, in part due to increased testing capacity, so we passed on the takeout. Social distancing may be the best tool we have to control coronavirus infection rates, but it's gonna wear thin real soon.

·
22,256 Posts
vfw and the moose have fish frys every Friday but that is stopped for now. nice thing here is the fish is caught that morning by local commercial fisherman. Some bars had them too but there all closed. I have tons of venison left but not one pack of fish. Last night we had fish sticks and mac and cheese. YUM!:tango_face_smile_bi guess it isn't to bad. 6 months from now it might be beans and rice 7 days a week!

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
When I go out for fish which is not too often I stop at Long John Silvers for their 2 piece Cod, years ago they had the fish and more which was really good but now they serve the ground up fish made into some type of a patty.

Deaconllb

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
IF, my car was running out of oil, I'd stop at long john silvers, order up some food, and then squeeze it out over the oil intake of my engine!!! That would for sure get me down the road quite a ways!!

And that's about the only time I'd go there again... lol

DM

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IF, my car was running out of oil, I'd stop at long john silvers, order up some food, and then squeeze it out over the oil intake of my engine!!! That would for sure get me down the road quite a ways!!
And that's about the only time I'd go there again... lol
DM
LOL--, a little bit over-stated but I stopped at one about four years ago for the first time in two decades and was horribly disappointed.
Not going back,ever.

Back in the day, I was always more or an Arthur Treacher's eater.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Around here Friday fish fry is mostly made with lake perch. Now the perch are in short supply and are around $21 a pound if you can get any at all.

·
22,256 Posts
LOL--, a little bit over-stated but I stopped at one about four years ago for the first time in two decades and was horribly disappointed.
Not going back,ever.

Back in the day, I was always more or an Arthur Treacher's eater.
I got stung there once and was stupid enough to try it a second time. Anyone that brags on that place has never had good fish. Reality is id rather have a fish sandwich from mcdonalds!! At least it doesn't come with an oil change.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
Years ago when I lived in California there was a company came in from England caller Roads Fish and Chips and it was really good, all the workers were from England, not a lot of oil but then came the copy cats so to speak and thing from there went down hill.

Deaconllb

·
Registered
37 Posts
I belong to the Knights of Columbus In southeast La. We have a fish fry during Lent which consist of 1/2 pound fried catfish , fries , hush puppies , coleslaw , and a piece of cake ,,,$9.00.....We had to shut down because of caronis...Our last fry we sold 490 plates drive thru only....We do not batter fish ....Light coat mustard then thru corn flour seasoned....Ya'll Yankee's ought to try it....

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Good fish fry's are all over Wisconsin all year long. I don't think there are any more during lent, maybe some churches put them on, don't know. Great fish fry's are spattered around the state, for some reason a lot of them in the Oshkosh area. If you are ever in that region, I can give you several that are excellent and good value. Mostly small bars that know what they are doing...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts