Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know lots of people say the 380AUTO is a light gun and the guns for it are bad but for fishing or if you just need a gun they do. Guns like the Jimenez Arms J.A. .380 ,.cobra pistols, accu-tek HC-380., and others have been worn for fishing guns and carry guns. Most shoot pretty well and will take HP rounds and not jam. I have a 1934 and it will shoot +p rounds and i have used it for killing coyotes and sometimes snakes. Anyways what kind of gun do you carry for fishing??

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag.

·
Registered
751 Posts
When I lived in Homestead Fl., I carried my Dan Wesson 357mag with a 2" barrel and 38 wadcutters. With the gun in a hip holster I didn't have to speak a foreign language to be left alone especially while night fishing.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there not much really anything in my area(tarpon springs - st.pete,FL) that my 380 can't take. the mag holds nine and there a mix of FMJ and HP in there. Now if there was bears,hogs, or other stuff like that i would have the Taurus Judge.

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
My model 63, a traditional kit gun loaded with the first two with shot shells and the last four with CCI Stingers:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
We've got some pretty tough catfish down here along the Mississippi River. Big suckers, too. I wouldn't trust a .380 to stop one! I wouldn't use anything less than a .357! Plus the .380 loses velocity (and energy) pretty quick in water over 3 feet deep. Not a great fishing caliber. ;D

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Bullets won't cause damage to a fish past about 8 inches down, the energy expands into the water. Use a bow.

And what is your question?

For killing fish?

What fish?

For protection from people?

For protection from animals?

What animals?

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
How about potting a squirrel or rabbit in the fall during legal season, to have with the fish for dinner? Pretty common practice, here in central Illinois.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
corbanzo said:
Bullets won't cause damage to a fish past about 8 inches down, the energy expands into the water. Use a bow.

And what is your question?

For killing fish?

What fish?

For protection from people?

For protection from animals?

What animals?
sorry about that i mean by fishing gun, something carry for both protection from animals and people and maybe a little can shooting. If you were shooting fish in the water a large, slow moving bullets are better then a fast bullet.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Shooting fish in water? Why?

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
30-06manf, different strokes for different folks, as long as it's legal.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
30-06man said:
Shooting fish in water? Why?
well sometimes it's fun but you need some thing with a very slow moving bullet or they can come back at you or hit someone else. Yes, i have shot at fish with a .22LR,380, and slingshot and the slingshot was the only thing that didn't go all over the place. most states (i thing here to) its not legal and it's dumb to do anyways and make shooters look bad(look at the box for bullets,airguns, and slingshots and they all say don't fire into or at water).

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Most states its illegal. Do what you want. I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
30-06man said:
Most states its illegal. Do what you want. I wouldn't do it.
i used to do that, but stopped because the bullets will not hit there mark, unsure if it was illegal or not, and i didn't know were they were landing at. Slingshots, bows and spears are the safe way to go for shooting fish.

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
In the spring, I use my old Onieda bow for shooting carp but, I like to carry my Mountain Gun along for copperheads and moccacins(loaded with homemade shot cartridges).

1 - 20 of 49 Posts