Graybeard Outdoors banner

Fist shim done

665 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  recondoc 
#1 ·
Hey folks,
I tried my first attempt at a shim to fit my 45-70 barrel. When I received it, it was a little bit loose on my frame. I found that I could use mini-feeler guages into the hinge space to size up the fit. With the forend off, I was able to just slip the guages in from the top and then close the action. I went with a .003 as it gave me the tightest lockup. .004 would close but the action wouldn't lock no matter how hard I slammed it. .003 took a firm shutting but would lock up nice and tight. I tested this with some firm blows from a rubber mallet and it wouldn't pop open.
Once I had the size pegged, I followed the tips found in the FAQ section on fitting barrels. Now my barrel locks up vault solid. I'm not sure how many rounds of 45-70 it will withstand but I'm looking forward to finding out.
Doc

#3 ·
Fist shim done
When I first read this I remembered my thumb[/color] shim. ;D ::) OOuch! Lock up was sure tight but made the latch messy with blood. Then I realized it is just a typo.

Great job with the shim. I've been lucky so far. Mine have fit pretty good without having to shim.

Sorry but I just couldn't resist.

JerryKo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.