Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the cutest little snob fish you ever served up for a Flathead?

A 14inch cute little largemouth? Maybe one of those fight like a stick cute little walleyes. :eek:

I think a 2lb bass would stay alive a lot longer than a 2lb walleye on a 14/0 circle hook, but them Big ol' flatheads probably like those walleyes as much as humans do. It looks like a walleye would be easier to swallow than a bass. Trout are soft and meaty they might stay alive in cat water in the early sping, I wonder how good a flathead bait a 15 inch brook trout would make. I caught 12 inch smallmouth once which had a healed over hole that went clear through his back just under his dorsal, I guess someone had put him on the all you can eat flathead buffet. I think his name was lucky because I released him also.

I'll tell you about the cutest fish I intend to feed a flathead after I get a copy of this years regulations and see if it's legal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Flatheads Love Cute Little "Gamefish&q

:D Nobody ever answered ya so I will. I mainly use Goggle eye & Talapia for tabbycats. Ain't found nothing better my friend.

Tabbycat Elkins 8)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Hi Tabbycat, when I lived in phoenix all the municipal ponds were stocked with tilapia, and we never caught one. I was wondering if you were any good at catching them with something other than a cast net.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Yes. I am quite proficient with a common hook & cork rig on a cane pole. :)
Talapia are bottom feeders.
How were you trying to catch them?
Aside from the cast net that is.

Tabbycat Elkins 8)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

we were using standard bluegill tactics. Little tube jigs, nitecrawlers, little spinners. Now tell me exactly how you caught them.

·
Registered
62 Posts

:) LOL Ok heres the deal where I live. A couple of miles from my house there is a fish farm. They mostly raise sea bass in tanks but they also have a small lake for talapia. Now heres something you need to know about talapia, ...cold water will kill them in a heartbeat. Also when I hook them I run the hook through the bottom lip & once through I turn it so it rests beside their head. Hooking them in the back shortens their life span on the hook. But I digress as I was saying the lake constantly has water running through it from a warm water well. The spillway is the head of a small creek that we fish. Worms or crickets is all you need.

Tabbycat Elkins 8)

·
Registered
778 Posts

I think one of the biggest problems with using live bait is that most people try to use a really big fish for bait. I’ve had much more success using live bait 3 inches long when compared to hand size panfish. Goggled-eyes are about as tough as they come to stay a live when hooked for bait also gold fish are really tough to kill and do a good job.

Scott

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Hi Tscotto, thanks for weighing in, what part of Louisiana are you from? I have a good friend that grew up in Monroe and I want to go fisning around venice someday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.