·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nov 19, 2007 8:05 pm US/
Send E-mail

| Print Wounded Soldier: Military Wants Part Of Bonus Back
Reporting
Marty Griffin PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― The U.S. Military is demanding that thousands of wounded service personnel give back signing bonuses because they are unable to serve out their commitments.

To get people to sign up, the military gives enlistment bonuses up to $30,000 in some cases.

Now men and women who have lost arms, legs, eyesight, hearing and can no longer serve are being ordered to pay some of that money back.

One of them is Jordan Fox, a young soldier from the South Hills.

He finds solace in the hundreds of boxes he loads onto a truck in Carnegie. In each box is a care package that will be sent to a man or woman serving in Iraq. It was in his name Operation Pittsburgh Pride was started.

Fox was seriously injured when a roadside bomb blew up his vehicle. He was knocked unconscious. His back was injured and lost all vision in his right eye.

A few months later Fox was sent home. His injuries prohibited him from fulfilling three months of his commitment. A few days ago, he received a letter from the military demanding nearly $3,000 of his signing bonus back.

"I tried to do my best and serve my country. I was unfortunately hurt in the process. Now they're telling me they want their money back," he explained.

It's a slap for Fox's mother, Susan Wardezak, who met with President Bush in Pittsburgh last May. He thanked her for starting Operation Pittsburgh Pride which has sent approximately 4,000 care packages.

He then sent her a letter expressing his concern over her son's injuries, so she cannot understand the U.S. Government's apparent lack of concern over injuries to countless U.S. Soldiers and demands that they return their bonuses.

While he's unsure of his future, Fox says he's unwavering in his commitment to his country.

"I'd do it all over again... because I'm proud of the discipline that I learned. I'm proud to have done something for my country," he said.

But Fox feels like he's already given enough. He'll never be able to pursue his dream of being a police officer because of his wounds and he can't believe he's being asked to return part of his $10,000 signing bonus.

KDKA contacted Congressman Jason Altmire on his behalf. He says he has proposed a bill that would guarantee soldiers receive full benefit of bonuses

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
This trash has been going on since at least 2004. The fellow behind it is David Chu, the Pentagon manpower guru. Chu once dissed veterans with this jewel: "Veteran's benefits are hurtful to national security." The White House is well aware of this policy and apparently sees nothing wrong with it.

In 2006, Rumsfeld asked congress to cut six million dollars from troop brain injury research: Hastert quickly complied. The money was restored early in the current congress.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
I live just outside of Pittsburgh and have heard of this story. They are rite when they say it is a slap in the face. For a person to give their all for their country and get injured. Then have the government do this is is a very terrible thing. What the **** is going through their heads. These people in many cases will not be able to work again. Dale

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts
You guys are gonna make some Bush supporters mad. :eek:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
"You guys are gonna make some Bush supporters mad."

My body is scarred from another useless war. We were told that if RVN fell that the other countries in the region would fall like dominos. Well, RVN fell and nothing else happened in the region. Now the politicians in the white house and congress are in the pockets of the primary supporter of the North Vietnamese-Red China. Presently we have another holy war going. The big difference between this war and the other wars is that the white house is waging war on disabled veterans. i wanna puke.

US Army
Retired

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts
Once again, there seems to be an absence of Bush worshipers on the thread also. ??? Truth is indeed hard on the follower, when the race horse turns out instead, to be a sloth. huh?

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
Unbelievable & a sorry state of affairs. I have 2 boys in the Guard & I cannot imagine how the parents must feel, it should enrage everyone.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Dee said:
Once again, there seems to be an absence of Bush worshipers on the thread also. ??? Truth is indeed hard on the follower, when the race horse turns out instead, to be a sloth. huh?
Dee I really enjoy your perspective on things normally but in this case I have to say. ??? ??? ??? ??? I don't understand what you are trying to say. I hope you are not saying to bad for our guy's and they should have to pay that money back. If that is what you are saying you have really lost my respect for your opions. Dale

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
Dee said:
It is not just a Bush problem, it has been going on longer than Bush's term with other war Veterans. If you want to put blame on anyone, then but it on all of them not just Bush.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
When GW dies and goes to ****,,, he will feel the pain of every soldier that was killed or injured and the pain experienced by their family and friends. This hardship put upon the Vets,,,,,is the ultimate sin. :mad:

Cheese

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Cheesehead said:
When GW dies and goes to ****,,, he will feel the pain of every soldier that was killed or injured and the pain experienced by their family and friends. This hardship put upon the Vets,,,,,is the ultimate sin. :mad:

Cheese
So Cheese you gonna say that about every Commander In Chief we have had during war since this country began or is this just a Bush thing???? As far as the origional thread goes you can blame Bush and maybe some is his fault but the Government has treated Vets unfairly for a long time. A very long time before Bush took office, there is plenty of blame to go around in that respect.

·
Registered
24,772 Posts
Seems like a dreadful situation to me. This is what happens when you put money and government in the formula. Blame falls on Bush I'm afraid .... he could just write an 'executive order' to change this post haste. Meanwhile, I would like to see a copy of the 'agreement' or contract the guys sign in order to get this money which is called 'bonus' money....it may actually be money other than 'bonus' technically. In the private sector 'bonus' money is treated as wages and as such has strings, like pay for services concept, as far as the IRS is concerned. Seems like it does incentivize not getting hurt though, but in turn that might be counter productive to operations.

...TM7

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts
DALESCARPENTRY said:
Dee said:
Dee I really enjoy your perspective on things normally but in this case I have to say. ??? ??? ??? ??? I don't understand what you are trying to say. I hope you are not saying to bad for our guy's and they should have to pay that money back. If that is what you are saying you have really lost my respect for your opions. Dale
Well Dale, you DEFINATELY MISSED my sarcasm. I have a son whom just finished his 3rd combat tour as a Sgt. with the 82nd Airborne. My support of the troops is PARAMOUNT, and my sarcasm was directed at Bush for allowing this kind of BS. I would dearly love to address face to face the folks that are responsible for the latest abuse of American troops.
Bush is not a "race horse" he is the "sloth". He should address "this issue" on wounded troop treatment PUBLICLY, and apologize to the soldiers, but it is probably not going to happen, just as he has REFUSED to pardon those two Border Patrol Agents whom shot a MEXICAN DRUG SMUGGLER, and then were sent to PRISON. GOOD GRIEF!. Now the drug smuggler has been CAUGHT AGAIN, and still the Agents sit in Prison. Mr. Bush is the lowest of the low, to let these two men languish in Prison, while the smuggler, continues to ply his trade in our country. Different issue than the thread, yes, but same ole deal. Make excuses while our troops and protectors suffer. :mad:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
"Bush is not a "race horse" he is the "sloth"."

Bush runs all over the place like a big proud stallion. When it comes to the things that are important to this country like dealing with belligerent China, getting after the sorry Iraqi government, getting serious with illegals and taking care of the troops, Bush is a gelding.

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts
Well now sir, I stand corrected. I like your analogy much better than my own. Hear! Hear!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
While I will certainly give credit, where credit is due, this administration, and all of them back to as far as WWI have NEVER treated veterans the way they should. I just get a kick of how some of you just like to kick Bush, when it's been the last 80 or so years. When did the Vietnam Vets get treated the right way. Clinton cut both the military and the benefits they received. Take heart all you Bush basher's, less than a year to go. Then we'll all get to pick on Hilary. gypsyman

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Dee please accepet my apology then Dale.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
"Clinton cut both the military and the benefits they received."

i am a disabled military retiree who stays up to date on who cuts what. Clinton did not cut veterans benefits.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
I have a brother-in-law that retired from the Air Force. His drug benefits went away on Clinton's watch and were restored on Bush's. My son was injured while in the Army and was told if he re-upped they would med board him out. He received a 10% disability, all on Clinton's watch. He reapplied to the VA 3 years ago and now gets 60% disability. I'm not George's biggest fan but I don't think he is the devil in disguise either. Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
"I have a brother-in-law that retired from the Air Force. His drug benefits went away on Clinton's watch and were restored on Bush's."

I retired from the US army in 1979. No drug benefits went away on Clinton's watch. Please do not try to tell me who cut what veteran's benefits. i advise veterans' on their benefits as a gratis service.

Matter of fact Clinton authorized compensation for Gulf War syndrome: Good thing he did too. The Republican draft dodger lead congress that took over in 1995 would have never passed that legislation.

Statement on Signing Veterans Benefits Legislation
November 2nd, 1994

Today I am pleased to sign into law H.R. 5244, the "Veterans' Benefits Improvements Act of 1994" and H.R. 3313, the "Veterans Health Programs Extension Act of 1994." These bills address important areas of concern for our Nation's veterans.

The primary purpose of H.R. 5244, the "Veterans' Benefits Improvements Act of 1994," is to authorize compensation to Persian Gulf War veterans suffering from disabilities resulting from undiagnosed illnesses possibly incurred during service in the Persian Gulf theater of operations.

Some of our Persian Gulf War veterans are suffering from illnesses that cannot be diagnosed based upon current available scientific and medical data. The lack of a diagnosis at this point, however, should not stop us from providing an expeditious and compassionate response to these veterans' needs. Our Nation is keenly aware of its responsibility to the brave men and women who so capably served our country during the Persian Gulf conflict. This legislation is designed to address their needs.

The Act authorizes the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to compensate Persian Gulf War veterans who suffer chronic disabilities from undiagnosed illnesses that became manifest during or within a specified time after their service in the Gulf region. It also requires the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to develop and implement a uniform and comprehensive medical evaluation protocol for veterans of the Persian Gulf conflict suffering from unexplained illnesses. I am pleased to say that this protocol has already been established. VA medical centers and facilities are currently providing appropriate medical assessment, diagnoses, and treatment to Persian Gulf War veterans.

This Act will help to further our investigation into the adverse health consequences that may be associated with service in the Persian Gulf, including potential risks to the family members of our veterans, by requiring the VA to evaluate the health status of spouses and children of Persian Gulf War veterans. It also requires the VA to implement an outreach program for Persian Gulf War veterans, including a newsletter and a toll-free telephone number to provide information concerning available benefits.

The "Veterans Health Programs Extension Act of 1994," H.R. 3313, will extend the VA's authority to operate a number of veterans programs and activities. Significantly, this Act will extend the VA's authority to provide Persian Gulf War veterans with hospital, nursing home, and outpatient medical care for disabilities possibly incurred from exposure to toxic substances or environmental hazards during service in the Persian Gulf. It also extends the VA's authority to provide Vietnam veterans with hospital and nursing home care for disabilities, which may have resulted from exposure to dioxin. The Act also extends the VA's authority to provide priority health care services for disabilities possibly related to exposure to ionizing radiation during nuclear testing or during certain service in Japan following World War II. Finally, the Act also authorizes appropriations of $379.4 million for major medical facility construction and repair projects and 15.8 million for major medical facilty leases for the VA.

Because of the important benefits that this legislation will provide to our Nation's veterans and their families, I am very gratified to sign these two bills into law.

William J. Clinton

The White House,

1 - 20 of 50 Posts