Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/824733427

Read the item description!

Let the ideas roll. One thing that is obvious. He doesn't know what happened, gives a list of possibilities that would all have been user error and then bashes the workmanship of the gun.

I feel bad for the fella but.........if you were to slam your wanky in the car door it wouldn't be right to blame the folk in Detroit for workmanship....and no I would not buy the car door so that you could get a new wanky.

Of course the barrel threads are flat! They were just stripped out of the receiver.

The fired load "has been confirmed to be 48 grains of IMR 3031 over a 300 grain Barnes bullet". That load is 10 grains below the suggested starting load for that round. It is an overbore case thus most likely it was detonation which is the pilots fault. Always stay between the starting and maximum loads with rifle powders....especially if they are on the slower end of the burning rate for the cartridge in question.

1. The load was reduced thus in the bottom half of the case.
2. The primer flashed through it and didn't get a good burn.
3. The pressure was still enough to push the bullet into the rifling a short amount.
4. Then the rest of the powder lights off(detonates) and spikes at such a rate that the stuck bullet can't get out of the way and the gun goes to pieces.

I saw the same thing happen to a model 70 in 458 Winchester several years ago. The bolt held but the locking lugs were welded into the recesses and the bottom of the barrel split as did the stock. The shooter only had minor injuries but learned not to shoot squib loads with powders designed to operate at higher pressure.

My guess is that 48 grains of IMR 3031 in the 45-70 case was only developing around 10,000 CUP....not at all what that powder was designed for and this created an unstable condition. 10,000 CUP most likely won't blow a gun apart to this extent but the pressure spike from unstable detonation will!

My 2 cents worth!

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
I will go with a double load or way more than he is saying, there is something wrong if he is not trying to get something out of Marlin.

Deaconllb

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm going with 48 grains of Bullseye. You couldn't double charge with 3031. I think some 45-70 loads are 3031 compressed. What about a squib round on the shoot before this one? Powder detonation is possible if the powder was laying flat across the length of the cartridge.

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
My guess is, he packed it full of pistol powder, loaded a heavy bullet, tied it to a tree with a long string on the trigger and touched it off with an eye toward gunbroker.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Overload/double load, of pistol powder.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Looks like something that was rescued from a Dick's retail store ! :tango_face_wink::tango_face_grin:

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Come on guys. He’s trying to buy a new thumb. Thumbs up🤓. Besides I bet someone will buy it...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm not a gunsmith....but ofcourse the threads are flat! You blew the barrel out!

I have seen this exact thing several times in my life. And everytime it was an obstructed barrel or bad hand load.

Since the guy self admits loading outside of specs......

·
Registered
417 Posts
I did my own oops load ONCE following suggested H4895 reduced load data I shot two rounds and noticed very different sounds and way different points of impact, Should of been my clue but NO I shot one more just to see, POOF fizzzz and a pretty little wisp of smoke, Bullet lodged about 6 inches forward thank God the Contender frame opened, With out problem removed undamaged case and looked in it was still fairly full of unburned powder tipped it out on the bench, a tube shaped chunk slid out, No harm no foul but learned a lesson on reducing loads MAKE **** sure of your load and if you hear or see something not right STOP !!!!

Oh yeah almost forgot CHECK down the bore EVERY TIME before a new session at the range

1 - 12 of 12 Posts