Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
**Just to clear things up, this is not a 350 Legend, just a longer version of the 357AR**

I've been following the 350 Legend thread and thought you guys might find this interesting.

I'd like to start off by saying that I don't have anywhere near the experience or intelligence to build something like this. I was confident enough with the advice I was given to proceed. If you want to try it, do so at your own risk.

Here's a longer version of Molemans 357AR. A gentleman in Michigan has a similar round and was kind enough to share his AA1680 load data with me. So not my idea and I'm not taking any credit for it, but I do think its pretty cool. I ordered this barrel in October before the 350 Legend was announced. The 350 Legend is definitely a cheaper way to go, but this is the first Savage I ever messed with and it was a lot of fun putting it together. Had pretty good success with the first load I tried and will likely just stick with that load. You guys with years of reloading experience could probably get more out of it than me. I wanted a 357 Max bolt gun and with the Starline 223 basic brass, I got a little more. I've only shot it about 100 rounds at 50 yards, but I think it shows potential.

Starline 223 basic brass trimmed to 1.79"
Speer 180g HCFN #2435
Remington 7-1/2 primer
AA1680 powder ( I stopped at 35 grains with no signs of pressure and easy extraction. Load at your own risk)
2.50" COL put the bullet about .012" off the lands in my barrel
After the first firing, I resize in 357 Max dies and trim the brass to 1.782"

The gentleman that shared the 1680 load data with me is getting 2600fps + over his chrono. I do not have a chrono, but I believe this to be accurate data. Gun is a Savage Model 11 (223 bolt face) with a 22" Mcgowen barrel. Feeds flawlessly from the Savage 223 blind mag with a minor modification to the mag block.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sweet! I have the Ruger American and it shoots under an inch right out of the box with the 145 FMJ

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I saw your post and that definitely is a good shooting rifle. I hope your son takes a lot of deer with it. I think the 350 Legend is going to be a huge hit and I cant wait to see guys sharing load and modification ideas.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Moleman is a great person to talk to on this he help me out a lot on a question so I would trust him thanks This just mite be a way to go with men or woman with shoulder problems or back

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I see both Win and Fed are now offering 180 gr factory ammo for the 350 Legend
at about 2,100 fps velocity.

Where did this 2,600 come from? & What bullet wt.?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see both Win and Fed are now offering 180 gr factory ammo for the 350 Legend
at about 2,100 fps velocity.

Where did this 2,600 come from? & What bullet wt.?
This is not a 350 Legend Ray. This is just a longer version of the 357AR. 2600+fps is the load posted in the thread.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Moleman is a great person to talk to on this he help me out a lot on a question so I would trust him thanks This just mite be a way to go with men or woman with shoulder problems or back
He certainly is a great person and was very helpful with this project. This gun is a pleasure to shoot with little to no felt recoil, but it does have a pretty nice recoil pad on it.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I'd like to start off by saying that I don't have anywhere near the experience or intelligence to build something like this. I was confident enough with the advice I was given to proceed.
Don't sell yourself short, brother! You're just talented enough to do the work and wise enough to do your research to get it right!

BW

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
Hey bud, I think you did an awesome build and kudos to the members who were generous enough to provide you the info to help you be successful and safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
**Just to clear things up, this is not a 350 Legend, just a longer version of the 357AR**

I've been following the 350 Legend thread and thought you guys might find this interesting.

I'd like to start off by saying that I don't have anywhere near the experience or intelligence to build something like this. I was confident enough with the advice I was given to proceed. If you want to try it, do so at your own risk.

Here's a longer version of Molemans 357AR. A gentleman in Michigan has a similar round and was kind enough to share his AA1680 load data with me. So not my idea and I'm not taking any credit for it, but I do think its pretty cool. I ordered this barrel in October before the 350 Legend was announced. The 350 Legend is definitely a cheaper way to go, but this is the first Savage I ever messed with and it was a lot of fun putting it together. Had pretty good success with the first load I tried and will likely just stick with that load. You guys with years of reloading experience could probably get more out of it than me. I wanted a 357 Max bolt gun and with the Starline 223 basic brass, I got a little more. I've only shot it about 100 rounds at 50 yards, but I think it shows potential.

Starline 223 basic brass trimmed to 1.79"
Speer 180g HCFN #2435
Remington 7-1/2 primer
AA1680 powder ( I stopped at 35 grains with no signs of pressure and easy extraction. Load at your own risk)
2.50" COL put the bullet about .012" off the lands in my barrel
After the first firing, I resize in 357 Max dies and trim the brass to 1.782"

The gentleman that shared the 1680 load data with me is getting 2600fps + over his chrono. I do not have a chrono, but I believe this to be accurate data. Gun is a Savage Model 11 (223 bolt face) with a 22" Mcgowen barrel. Feeds flawlessly from the Savage 223 blind mag with a minor modification to the mag block.

Very nice!!

This is what the Legend should have been.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. About anybody can screw a barrel on a Savage, the load data was the challenging part for me. I'm new to reloading and venturing into unchartered waters honestly scares the heck out of me. I was fortunate enough to get starting load data from the gentleman in Michigan and lucky the gun shot well with the first combination I tried. I'm content with that 180 grain bullet going 2600 fps.

·
Registered
347 Posts
A well built 180 @ 2600 should be capable of killing any deer alive out to a couple hundred yards or so...and looking at your group on that target leads me to believe that you shouldn't have any trouble placing the bullets where you want them...great looking set-up ...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A well built 180 @ 2600 should be capable of killing any deer alive out to a couple hundred yards or so...and looking at your group on that target leads me to believe that you shouldn't have any trouble placing the bullets where you want them...great looking set-up ...
Thanks. I've had good luck with the 180g Speer in the 35 Remington and the 357AR. This ones a little fast for the Hornady 180g SSP's I think.

·
Registered
364 Posts
That configuration just makes sense. 5.56/.223 brass- .358" bullets. Pretty cool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
I made the leap...

My Ruger American should be in my hands next week.
Cw

·
Registered
600 Posts
How long till an H&R is available in 350?

1 - 20 of 136 Posts