Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My .308 Handi Survivor was not grouping very well so I took the fore end off and my groups were cut in half. I'm going to do some sanding on the inside of the fore end to make sure everything is free floated. I've already put a grommet on the thingus that the fore end screw threads into.

A quick search of the stickies and the forum did not turn up anything on how tight the fore end screw should be. I couldn't even find anything in the owners manual. What torque are you guys using to attach your fore ends? I know you want to tighten the screw the same amount every time, for consistencies sake, but I have no idea of just how tight the screw should be. Please don't tell me to experiment with different torques, I'm looking to see if there is a general consensus on how tight that screw should be.

·
Super Moderator
51,257 Posts
You may have to experiment to find out what works best, "snug" is the term most use, I use a torque screwdriver set at 24inch/lbs. Whatever you decide works best, make it the same every time, that's the important part, some just use an index mark, unfortunately, depending on the temp and humidity, it won't be consistent.

Tim

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
quickdtoo,

Thanks for the starting point! Once the fore end is floated completely I'll start there and see how she shoots.

McLernon,

Glass bedding the fore end will be trickier on my Survivor because there is a lot of space in the plastic fore end to fill up.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I have started using my cordless drill on the LOWEST torque setting.
Don't know how many inch #s but they are even from time to time.
Keeps my point of aim the same.

·
Registered
62 Posts
dm1333 said:
quickdtoo,

Thanks for the starting point! Once the fore end is floated completely I'll start there and see how she shoots.

McLernon,

Glass bedding the fore end will be trickier on my Survivor because there is a lot of space in the plastic fore end to fill up.
you might try some foam in a can to fill up the void then put the glass down...it won't take as much nor be as heavy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts