Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a.280 JDJ barrel at a gun show and was wondering if any one had any experience in the best way to fireform this case. i tried seating the bullets out to reach the lands, but it would take a 175 grain bullet in this particular barrel. i ended up sizing up to .30 then a short portion of the neck into a .270 die, then i was able to use the .280 JDJ die to get the correct headspacing. any easier ideas?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Loose, I have one in a 15.5" length. You must use a 175'er and set set it so that it is hard to close. It has to be pushed into the lands. I have a hard time getting the cases fireformed completely in 1 try, but that may just be me. Some of the first time cases come out with round shoulders, not there yet. I use 44gr. RL22 to fireform and this w-end I am going to try to 2nd fireform about 25 more cases that have the round shoulders with 175 gr. speers over 60gr. RL22. It is just a big change to the original case size that I have lost a few to split necks and head separation. Do you have the load sheet from JDJ for this round? Jeff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am gonna try my method out tomorrow morning, i'll let you know if i get full case formation or not. i used the method i described above to headspace off of, and 48 grains of WIN 748 with a little bit of polyfill to hold the powder back in the case. i talked to a few other people who have formed some of JD's rounds and this was the most recommended method, but by no means the easiest. yeah i have load data for the round i bought the dies straight from SSK and he included the data, although it was minimal to say the least, but he lists a 175 gr remington coreloct at 2602 fps with a max load of 66.3 grains of RL 22. hope this can help you out some. like i said, i'll get back with ya tomorrow to see if i get full case form from one firing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just got back from the range. . . out of 48 cases, i lost 10 to split necks, the rest seem ok, for now, i'm gonna anneal the necks tonite before i load up some full house stuff. i didn't get full case formation either, i'd say around 95 percent though, just gonna do a partial neck size enuf to hold a bullet in and see if a full house load will fireform the rest of the way out without blowing the neck or the case head. i'll get back to the range tomorrow. keep ya updated

·
Registered
26 Posts
Loose,
I don't know about the JDJ but in the AI It is best to start with new .30-06 brass and run it in just enough to size the neck so th action will close this will leave a shoulder on the neck to headspace on. You will get good forming first round without losing cases to splits.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.