Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright i just typed all this stuff n hit a button n it was gone so here we go again i saw a receiver at a shop today for 60 its case colored the serial # starts with NJ will this receiver accept a 44 or 243 barrel and is 60$ a fair price for it if my barrel fits the guy said the barrel acc. program says any with a n will accept rifle barrel but i never saw a Case colored receiver for a rifle but that dosent mean they didnt make 1 i just want to be sure thanks for any n all info brad

·
Super Moderator
51,148 Posts
It's likely an SB1 shotgun frame which comes on the Pardner or Huntsman, they won't fit any rifle barrel to it, you'd have to call H&R (866)776-9292 toll free, and give them the serial number to find out what barrels can be fitted to it. It could also be an SB2 BC or Target frame which are case colored. An NN or HN or later frame is required for any of the asterisk * marked barrels on the list, the 44 isn't one, but the 243 is, so you'd need an SB2 frame made in 1999 or later for the 243.

Tim

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
The "guy" at the shop doesn't know what he's talking about the first character, "N" in this instance only indicates that it was made by New England Firearms (NEF). The second character indicates the year of manufacture. You can check with the list on the FAQ thread to find out what year it was manufactured. But even knowing the year will not tell you if it is an sb1 or sb2 receiver. As Quick said the surest way to find out what you've got and what barrels the factory will fit to it is to contact them directly.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
quick i had a nef shotgun and i had a nef .243 and one day i was messin around with it and found that the barrel fit the shotgun frame i don't know what model it was all i remember it was made in the 1990s. i put it on there and shot it and it shot fine. the barrel was off of a 243 superlight. i am just wondering if i messed up by doing that. before i sold them i put the barrel back onto the frames they came with.

·
Super Moderator
51,148 Posts
Shooting a rifle barrel on a shotgun frame isn't wise, while you may not have experienced a catastrophic failure with that shot, you may not be so lucky with the next one, the factory won't fit ANY rifle barrel to any shotgun frame for a reason, they won't even fit a high pressure chambering like the .243 to any pre '99 SB2 frame, let alone an SB1 frame.

Tim

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,66901.msg406756.html#msg406756

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,121724.msg1098413838.html#msg1098413838

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
b44mag: I have one of those minus all the internal parts I will give you free for the shipping cost to a FFL of your choice. It is Marlin (NEF SB1) shotgun frame and has a SN starting with KN. Larry

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
yeah i know it was stupid. i shot like 1 shot and put the rifle back onto the rifle frame because i was going to get rid of it. i have shot the shotgun a lot and finally sold it. thats about all the experience i have had with the nef rifles and shotguns. i may get another one someday.

·
Super Moderator
51,148 Posts
Could be, but the only way to know for sure is call the factory as has been recommended. ;)

Tim

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys for the info im gona call monday find out ill pass on the empty frame im not wanting to build one but thanks for the offer

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so i called hr today they told me it was 20 ga youth shotgun 22 in mod so i called the guy n i told him what they said he started to tell me that he called awhile ago someone told him different as the guy down the street put a barrel on it and it fit i told him it would fit but that its not rated for rifle pressure he then told me that the girl at hr told him he could put a 22 hornet on it im going with the lady i talked to and passing on it thanks for all the info guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts