Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hearing all the good talk about .45-70 Handis, I had set my sights on one as my year-end gift to myself. After considering the practical requirements -- new dies, brass, bullet molds, etc., and taking stock of the things I have on-hand at the loading bench, I decided I'd get just as much fun out of an ought-six as anything else. So, I ordered a standard Handi from the gun shop I like dealing with, and it arrived this week. This is the third .30-'06 rifle I have owned. I have several hundred good cases, dies, and a Lyman 311041 mold that were sitting unused since I sold my Rem 700 some years back.

The new rifle is a typical Handi -- plain pallet-wood stock, rather rough surface finish, etc. The trigger pull was good at about four pounds, and even better after I swapped the standard hammer out for a bobbed one that had been in my .357 Max when it wore a scope (Thanks to Perklo for his very clear instructions on dis- and re-assembly -- see the FAQs for the link). I polished the bore with J-B, and mounted a 4x Bushnell in anticipation of a trip to the range today. I have a handful of jacketed loads and ten with the Lyman cast bullet ready to go.

I did notice one different thing about this new Handi -- the frame is rollmarked "Harrington & Richardson" rather than "New England Firearms". I always thought that the H&R name was reserved for BCs and Target models. Someone noted that the old Wesson & Harrington name is used sometimes for special models. I have handled a few BCs, but never noticed the markings on the frame. My other NEF guns all have the NEF name on the frame. Anyone know of a change in the company?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Hello db22, You definitely can't go wrong with the '06.
I bought a new Handi-Rifle about a month ago. It's a 45-70 with synthetic stocks and it is also marked Harrington & Richardson.

Please give us a range report with your new '06.

I don't know why they mark some frames NEF and some H&R, maybe some of the more knowledgeable Handi owners on this site can answer this question.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
My new 44 magnum is also marked Harrington & Richardson. Its just a plain-jane gun with a standard SB-2 reciever. I have no idea why some are H&R and some are NEF.
Duane

·
Super Moderator
51,257 Posts
Perhaps they just ran out of the NEF marked frames and filled orders with what they had in stock. ;) One of the members at MO has a new .444 that is marked H&R. The Indiana and Mississippi Handi demand is really putting a crunch on H&R/Marlin.

Tim

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
My new HX serial numbered Ultra 24" 270 Fluted/444 Marlin is stamped Harrington & Richardson as well...Maybe this is how they are going to designate between the standard the magnum frames that are coming out next year...?

Mac

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Slufoot: Yup, it was reading about your .45-70 that got me in the mood to have a Handi with a bigger hole at the end of the pipe. Didn't I just read about you getting a deer this week with your new gummint .45? Can't argue with a big slug like that!

So -- this afternoon I did indeed fling some lead down the Holmen Rod & Gun Club centerfire range. I had only six jacketed loads, 150-grainers, but they went into two satisfyingly small groups, the bigger of the two around 1.5" at 50 yards because I jerked the trigger (the shot did land where I called it, though).

That Lyman 311041 mold has been in storage for 15 years, and I think it needs to be boiled again to remove the last of the oil that was applied to prevent rust. I've done it twice since I started using it again, but it still drops bullets that aren't sharp, no matter how hot it gets. Anyway, I put ten of them into about 4" at 50 yards, pushed along by a starting load of Rel 7. My old Remington did very well with SR 4759 and cast bullets -- guess I'll have to spring for a pound of it and keep trying to get that mold to drop clean, sharp bullets.

The new Handi is a real joy to shoot, with no function problems at all. And you sure are right, Slufoot -- the ought-six is a grand old American, just like the .45-70.

Now, I'm looking forward to hearing about Tim's Fire-Belching Magnum Super-Handi when it arrives at the guns shop!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
db22, Thanks for the range report. Sounds like the jacketed bullets are doing just fine.

"Didn't I just read about you getting a deer this week with your new gummint .45? Can't argue with a big slug like that!"

Yes, I got a nice big doe with it late Tuesday evening and the Winchester 300 grain JHP did it's job.

"And you sure are right, Slufoot -- the ought-six is a grand old American, just like the .45-70."

Yep, I like both of them very much. Wednesday morning I got a 4 point buck with my '06, it isn't a Handi though. Sorry guys!

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
I have also noticed the H&R frames on some basic Handi's. Another thing I noticed is several Handi's with NEF stamped frames and gray laminate H&R Limited Edition Stocks. Don't know what is going on, but it seems that there is a hodge-podge in the assembly lately.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts