Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to see if we could get Mr. Baker to give us a taste of what we can expect from Freedom Arms for their 25Th anniversary. I'm guessing that they will be unveiling it at the Shot Show that takes place in Febuary. Some of us won't be lucky enough to go to the Shot Show, so a taste of what we will be missing would be a wish come true. The Baker family has brought us many unbeleivable special guns in the past, and you can bet that the anniversary gun will not disapoint us.

·
Registered
189 Posts
How about a 4-3/4" (yes, 4-3/4"), octagon barreled, adjustable sighted, .45 Colt/.45 ACP 97, with special markings, sheephorn grips, and a lanyard ring? Wood-boxed with a matching-handled skinning knife?

There ... I've done your work for you ... you can quit worrying about it now and just implement the design. Dustin Linebaugh will be glad to do the grips, I'm sure, and Gordon Marts is a fine choice for the wood case. If I recall correctly, there's somebody in Wyoming that can do the knife to perfection, and I'd be well satisfied with your leather guy doing a matching holster/knife scabbard/belt combination.

Hope I get a discount on mine for being so much help....................... ??? ;D

·
Registered
93 Posts
I like to see a 45 schofield chambering in the M97. This would allow for a better selection of bullet weights. That's what makes the 44sp so good in the M97!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is Freedom Arms 25Th Anniversary of the M83 so naturally it has to be on the large plat form that built Freedom Arms. Bob I would like to see special markings on the gun/guns, possibly 1/2 to 3/4 engraving, cased in a French fit hard wood case, from there the customer could add options to the revolver that best fit them. Such as octagon barrel, barrel lenghth, porting, what ever options the customer wanted, as long as it was a option on the M83. That would not only make an Anniversary gun, but it would also make it a personal revolver for the customer. Thats the way Freedom Arms started, and that is the way they still do business today allowing the customer to personlize thier investment. Thank you Bob allways good to hear from you, and that you are interrested so much in the fine products you and your fine employees put thier skilled hands on. Hope this info helps. Steve Hoffine Jr.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bob, as you know I have over 50 of your guns, and would like to add my two cents worth. I agree with Steve that something on the model 83 frame would be the way to go. A choice of the standard 83 calibers, special markings like on the older special editions (Hunters, Primus, Larry Kelly, etc.), French fitted oak or walnut cases, one or two gun sets, special serial numbers like the old special editions, octagonal barrels, selection of options (AJ, sling swivels, etc.), WHITE micarta grips, and I could go on but you get the picture. Do we have to wait until the SHOT show to find out?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Bob,
I agree that it has to be an 83, and feel the proper caliber would be a .454, given the anniversary aspect. A special barrel length would be nice, as you once did with FACA...perhaps an 8", or a 5 1/2"...you pick it. I'd personally like to see an octagon barrel, but that 10" "Year of the Buffalo" half round / half octagon you did for SCI a few years ago was also nice. I doubt it would look as good in a shorter length, though.
I also feel that the grips should be different than the standard laminates or black micartas. I realize that the ivory / white micarta has all but disappeared, but perhaps someone has a stash hidden away. There are other alternatives, too, of course, but I assume you'd want the fitting done in-house. I would.
Finally, I lean toward just a modest amount of 25th anniversary marking and special serial numbers, making the gun more attainable to more people. I'd make a case an option.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I especially like the following ideas :
454 caliber since that is what started it off for me years ago : 454 "casull" ;
different distinctive grips than the standard options, or an inset medallion into the grips or scrimshawed grips - some characteristics that distinguish the guns at a glance;
some minimal engraving if it is not too expensive or extensive;
replacement sights front and rear ( express and target ) furnished with the package;
a knife or a knife set : folder and skinner with handle scales or FA Annivrsary medalliion matching the materials and design of the grips and/or etched to match the gun; special issue paperwork and historical info on FA;

optional presentation case;
optional special leather or ammo slider...

...............and a kiss from angelina jolie...

(sometimes I get a little carried away.)
dk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Bob,
What Ken said. Octagon 8 3/8" barrel and white Micarta grips and perhaps some EDMed logos such as the Larry Kelly series has.

Dave

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well I think a 2 gun set would be the way to go. Make a very limited run of these sets, perhaps 25 sets and perhaps 5 other sets given out as fund raisers for SCI and such. Or donate a chunk of each sale to these groups.

Gun No 1: a 97 in 45 colt with additional cylinders in 45 acp and 45 Schofield. 4 3/4" octagon barrel, all the refinements in FA's skilled hands can make.

Gun No. 2: a 83 in 500WE 7 1/2" barrel with scope mounts, octagon barrel and all of the refinements.

Have special custom grips created, Desert ironwood, Ivory, whatever, just make it something unique and exotic!

Have them in a presentation case with holsters for each gun.

I am not hung on calibers or barrel lengths but I thing pair of 97/83 guns would be a really nice set that really shows off FA products.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My personal idea would be a 83 in 454 with a 4.25 inch octagon barrel, round butt, 25 percent scroll engraved, and real ebony stocks.....

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Bob said:
Steve, lets approach this a different way. What would everyone like to see in a 25th year gun?
I would like to see a 44 magnum, octagon 10" barrel with silhouette sights, rosewood grips. Engrave it on one side with an IHMSA or NRA silhouette ram. On the other side put a nice whitetail deer. Then engrave the gun with the wording, "Freedom Arms, proudly serving sports men and women for 25 years". Throw in the Leupold scope mount and you will have the ultimate hunting and silhouette handgun for the lower 48.

Steve :)

P.S. I have a .22, .357, and 41 mag. 44 is just naturally next in the list......;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Next year is the anniversary of the Model 83 and the 454 Casull cartridge so the edition will be on those two items. Several of the things mentioned here are some of what we are looking at doing. There will be two editions, one will be very limited and very high dollar. The other will be more open on quantity and less costly.

Your input is appreciated.

·
Registered
220 Posts
MarkH nailed what I think would be the perfect anniversary gun.
How about a 4-3/4" (yes, 4-3/4"), octagon barreled, adjustable sighted, .45 Colt/.45 ACP 97, with special markings, sheephorn grips, and a lanyard ring? Wood-boxed with a matching-handled skinning knife?

There ... I've done your work for you ... you can quit worrying about it now and just implement the design. Dustin Linebaugh will be glad to do the grips, I'm sure, and Gordon Marts is a fine choice for the wood case. If I recall correctly, there's somebody in Wyoming that can do the knife to perfection, and I'd be well satisfied with your leather guy doing a matching holster/knife scabbard/belt combination.
I would make it a .45 colt/.454 model 83 instead.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'd go ivory on the grips, especially on the expensive one. In my book ivory's a must when a piece needs to be top of the line!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Bob said:
Next year is the anniversary of the Model 83 and the 454 Casull cartridge so the edition will be on those two items. Several of the things mentioned here are some of what we are looking at doing. There will be two editions, one will be very limited and very high dollar. The other will be more open on quantity and less costly.

Your input is appreciated.
Bob, that sounds good! I don't have a 45 or 454 yet. It will be available with cylinders for 45acp, 45LC, and 454, right?

Dang, I might have to buy a 44 AND the anniversary 454. I don't want the high dollar "look at what I got on the shelf" gun. I want the lest costly "go out and shoot 300 rounds a day", carry in the car, pack on the quad, shootin' iron that's made for shootin'.

Tell Don Steve P from WA said hi!

Steve :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have to agree with Wiking on the ivory grips. They look very good on a Freedom Arms revolver here are some photos of one of my Freedom Arms custom order revolvers. This type of case would be great for the 25th anniversary gun.

The scrimshaw work was done by Karen Walker.
Mr. Bob Baker, maybe you could get her to scrimshaw grips for the 25th gun (the Freedom Arms Coat Of Arms on the left grip when gun is in case)?

Picture of the right grip scrimshaw work

1 - 19 of 19 Posts