Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) my oldest boy (hes 10) has a question for the experts , since i couldnt come up with a good answer . could you make and use an aluminum bullet ? I had no good answer
I know to you guys its probably silly,but i had to ask . thanks in advance fl.hillbilly

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
In short, yes.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
I would guess that they would be lacking too much in mass. I'm not sure but it would seem that for example, a 168 grain bullet made out of pure aluminum would be way to long to fit any chamber, and if you could get it chambered, the wind would have a serious adverse effect on the trajectory of its flight. Maybe aluminum tips though? Like I said, I'm just guessing.

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
be kinda hard on my aluminum moulds

cast iron mould and something big like a 45-70 might be do-able

go to wikipedia
find what spacific gravity is for lead and aluminum then calculate %

405 [lead cast] X % [aluminum to lead difference] == cast aluminum bullet

also check the melting point for both metals

winchester silvertip pistal bullets are aluminum jackets i think

might be the wave of the future for kalifornians

·
Premium Member
14,631 Posts
Yes, you can, the early Noslers were turned on a lathe from a solid bar so no reason why it could not be done with any metal, Ballistics would be poor for aluminium.

·
24,008 Posts
alum can be cast but not with the equiptment the average caster has. Like bbf said the easiest way would be on a lathe.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Lapua makes aluminum cored bullets for military training purposes. Those are copper jacketed so may be fired in normal rifle barrels. Straight aluminum would gall and foul if in contact with a rifle's bore, but they work fine if encased in a sabot. Short range, tremendous velocity. Like 5000-6000 fps from a rifle, and useful to maybe 25 yards.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
One thing not mentioned by the others is that unless coated somehow, that raw aluminum would rapidly form a coating of aluminum oxide. I'd not want to shove one down any barrel I owned given its abrasive properties.

Just a Shooter

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ever hear of winchester silver tips? Prety sure they had an aluminium jacket. Also, look at the paper patching forum, Veral and others have patched bullets with aluminium foil. Shouldn't have any adverse effects on the barrel, although I, too, suspect galling, or whatever you want to call it.

Remember that energy is velocity squared, times weight, so you could get a tremendous wound from a n aluminium bullet as long as the speed held up.U.S.Military did some experimental, and some production loads with Flachettes, or tiny steel darts in the sixties. They made very nasty wounds because of their ultra hig velocity.

Shrapnel wounds are also sometimes all out of proportion to the size of the projectilebecause of speed. The whole argument was what gave people the mistaken impression that speed is the more important factor.

Also, A 22-250 or a 220 swift will penetrate steel plate better than a 30-06 with a p loads. Again, speed. I wouldn't want to cause anyone to do anything Illegal, but a truncated cone aluminium bullet at 5-6000 feet per second would probably penetrate quite a bit of steel.

·
Premium Member
14,631 Posts
docmagnum357 said:
Ever hear of winchester silver tips? Prety sure they had an aluminium jacket.
Nope, it was a nose cone only for lack of a better word. The bullet had a normal gilding type jacket.

The new ones from Combined Tech don't even have that and are a long cry from the original ST's.

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
look at the 44 special and 45lc rounds

they look aluminum to me all over

·
Premium Member
3,609 Posts
I have a factory box of zamac wadcutter 38 bullets. They look just like the 148 gr Lyman bullet but weigh about 115 gr if I remember right. I think zamac is an alloy of zinc and other stuff like tin with a relitively low melting point. I assume the bullets were cast.

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
lee1954 said:
I read about some work on a aluminum bullets.. on a lathe
--- for home self defence,,, low penitration and high speed out of a .38 Spec.
With a range of 10 - 15 feet ---- dan
45-70 AT 30000 FPS

SAW IT SOME WHERE ELSE ON ANOTHER GBO THREAD

1 - 19 of 19 Posts