Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried various means of supporting my Handi under the hinge pin but none are very repeatable. So, I've decided to invest in a front rest. I've ruled out the combination rests because they are either too expensive or do not have sufficient adjustment range to provide support under the hinge pin. I'm looking for something for less than $75.00. I've seen photos of three legged front rests(not the $300.00 variety) of several makes made of cast iron, die-cast aluminum and even polymers that look pretty good. Unfortunately, none of the stores around here stock them so I can't really evaluate their suitability or their rigidity. Can anyone offer some suggestions as to what make/model might be suitable based on their own experience. Your comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

McL

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
I use 2 different types...the first is a Cadwell Dead shot bag...and the other is a Lyman with the 3 legs...Cadwell make 1 exactly like it...except it's green and cost about $20-$25 less...here's a picture..not the greatest of both..

Hey Quick...look familiar :)

Mac

·
Super Moderator
50,972 Posts
Yup, cept for that Safari sling!!!

Tim

and to stay on topic, here's a Caldwell Rock Jr...

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Hey quick
How about posting the plans, procedures, and materials you used to make that fine lookin' shootin' bench? Looks like plywood and ?PVC? pipe maybe?

·
Registered
871 Posts
I use cadwell dead shot bags and I been using my bench master most of the time and I like it. The rest for the fore end dose not go as far back as I like it to, but still dose a good job.

Norse

·
Super Moderator
50,972 Posts
Here ya go...legs are 1¼" galvanized pipe, top is ¾" cabinet grade plywood, leg wedges are attached with carriage bolts instead of wood screws. Top is 24" wide instead of 28".

http://www.aeroaces.com/bench1.htm

Tim

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have just made one and it works very well it was cheap and did not take very long to build(under 2 hoursif you cound design time under 1 for construction).

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a front rest(three legged) at a local gun shop. It was not "The Rock' made by Caldwell. Had a wobbly top even when tightened up. Has anyone got the Caldwell 'Rock'? Does it snug up tight and rigid? I'll have to mail order so I'd like to get some specific input on that model. Thanks

McL

·
Registered
6,878 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
not to get to far off topic but i have a caldwell lead sled..i bought it for sighting in my 12ga slugs and my .50cal muzzle loader....it is not adjustable as far as length so it supports the front of my ultra just about at the swivel stud..will this affect accuracy a great deal when trying to get tight groups or sight in my scope??

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you have a significant investment in your rests I would suggest you try them. According to others on this form some Handi's shoot well from the fore-stock. Mine sure didn't so I followed the prevailing view.

Good shooting!!!

McL

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What follows is a brief report on the status of my front support order with Cabela's:

Received my front support from Cabela's in five days from order date. That is great service!!

The top of the support was wobbly even when tightened by the hand screw provided. No problem, I replaced it with a bolt and tightened it with a wrench. Its rock solid now. It should do the job nicely.

McL

·
Super Moderator
50,972 Posts
That's excellent service, specially when you consider you're north of the border!!! I've been a Cabelas customer for as long as I can remember, have never been disappointed with their products or service, they've never once denied me a return credit, even after keeping an item 6 months and deciding to return it unused, and that goes for boots, guns and who knows what all I've returned or exchanged.

Enjoy that rest, I sure like mine!!

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried my new front support out yesterday with my .223 Handi with mixed results. My groups opened up to 1-1/4 inch average from 0.83 inches. Using it was allot easier than cobbling together a support though. I think it needs more sand in it and probably should not be fired off the bare concrete tables my club has as I was getting more vertical than before. This is the first time I have employed this kind of support. I usually use a bipod for my other rifles and these I tend to 'cushion' with a mat. If you use this kind of support how do you set it up to avoid getting vertical?

Thanks for the input.

McL

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
You just need practice and a consistent grip, which ever one you choose from "free recoil" to tight.
This is just an advice from a beginner user of front and back rest.

You need enough sand, not too much. The bag must not look like a balloon. I made this mistake. It must be flat on the support or the bench.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I like to use a bipod on my rifles with a sand bag that I can move back and forth under the buttstock.It makes a solid hold for the crosshairs. Digger

·
Registered
922 Posts
If it will adjust back far enough i think that would be a pretty good rest.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts