Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a pair of used 58's. guns are in decent shape and shoot fine but the nipples are in bad shape. I tried changing em and they are froze solid. They've been soaking in Kroil for 4 days and won't budge. Any ideas??? : :cry:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
frozen nipples

Try rapping on them with a brass bar or punch. Since they are bad already, deforming them a bit won't hurt, and will likely break loose the rust bonding.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Penetrating oil, heat, and vibration...that's about the only things we have besides brute force. Soak it...vibrations...heat...soak...etc. Wackling on it with a brass, wood, or plastic mallet is good for vibrations...not a mateer of trying to beat it to death, just good solid wacks to vibrate it a bit and perhaps get the oil where it needs to be.

IF that fails, then BOIL the cylinder...that's right, plain old boiling water. Will get the temp up to a safe 212degrees and boiling will loosen the rust, congealed grease, and fouling holding the nnipples in...then dump in the penetrating oil into each cylinder and let it sit.
-------
While you are waiting arround, may as well go for a full dissasembly...chances re, if he let the nipples rust in place, the lock work hasn't had much attention over the years.

·
Registered
677 Posts
If all that fails, should work but worst case, use a jewler's torch to head the nipple to a dull red heat and let cool to a black heat and try to remove it. Boiling should lossen it though.

·
Registered
120 Posts
"Frozen Nipples..."

Like the other guys, heat (like from my breath) always took care of any "frozen nipples" that I've encountered!!! :-D

But on a gun... Use heat & kroil.

I once had frozen nipples (yup, that same problem again) on a used Pietta 36 Colt. All but 2 nipples came out easy (yea, I know, 2 is all you need!). Anyway, a local gunsmith told me to put the cylinder in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees for half an hour. When I remover it, I added kroil into the top the cylinders and stood it in 1/2" of kroil in a cool used cat food can. After soaking and coming back to room temp, the nipples backed right out for me.

Good luck getting unstuck.

Old No7

1 - 6 of 6 Posts