Graybeard Outdoors banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to keep this rifle for a while. No longer available!

I have this rifle for sale/trade locally as well as on another forum. Per Graybeard rules, first "I'll take it" gets it.

This is a beautiful Ruger M77 VT (Varmint/Target) rifle in .308 caliber. I bought this rifle from a friend in unused condition about 5 years ago. I shot enough milsurp ball ammo through it for the break in of the barrel (50-60 rounds) and haven't shot it since. I did manage to get a light, zig-zag scratch on the side of the buttstock during this process, but other than that, it's flawless. I can't get a decent picture of this to show, but it's not bad at all.

During the break-in process, this rifle shot no less than 1MOA from a benched position with the milsurp ammo. I never worked up a load for it, but I'm sure it will shoot great if fed the proper diet. I had zero problems with this rifle. Sling and scope in the picture are not available for sale or trade.

Specs: Barrel is 26" semi-heavy contour in 1:10 twist with a recessed target crown and is fully floated. All hardware is stainless in Ruger's "Target Gray" finish and is flawless. Action is Mauser style with a 3-position safety switch on the bolt (fire, safe but action works, safe but locks action). Target is fully adjustable and is currently set with zero creep and zero overtravel and a very light pull (not sure of actual weight). It's set up more for bench shooting than field shooting. It has an internal box magazine with a capacity of 4+1 and a hinged floor plate for quick unloading. Matching Ruger rings are included and mount directly to the receiver. Stock is brown laminate and "target" style with a straight comb and a wide forend. Length of pull is advertised at 13.5". Overall rifle length is 46" and is advertised to weigh 9.25lbs empty. MSRP on this rifle is $979.00.

I would LOVE to keep this rifle, but I don't shoot it and am needing to free up some cash for the holiday season. I am open to partial trades where cash is included. My trade interests are (not in any particular order):
- Stainless Steel 26" Encore Rifle Barrel in .308
- Stainless Steel Carbine-length Contender Barrels in 22LR, 22WMR (mag), 357Mag/Max, 44Mag, 45LC (may be open to others depending on caliber)
- Stainless Steel Contender Pistol Barrels (bull, 10-14 inch length) in 22LR, 22WMR (mag), possibly 357Mag
- Pocket-sized handgun in .380 caliber. I really like the Kahr P380 but may be open to others of similar size and quality.
CASH price is $700 OBO face-to-face in southern Indiana. Otherwise, shipping fees to your FFL will need to be discussed.
PICTURES:

And the best pic I can get of the scratch:

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Re: FS/T: Ruger M77 VT 308 Bolt Action

I just want to clarify one point, to make sure we understand what you intend to say. In your ad text, you wrote:

Anonym said:
During the break-in process, this rifle shot no less than 1MOA from a benched position with the milsurp ammo.
I read that to mean that the rifle shot 1" or _larger_ groups at 100 yards. This means it didn't shoot as well as my 308 Hawkeye. Is that what you intended to say? If not, could you elaborate, please?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Oops! Good catch. I meant to say "no worse than 1MOA ". Most were in the 3/4" range if I did my part, which without a sled or proper bench with milsurp ammo was pretty impressive. Sounds like your hawkeye is also a good shooter. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

·
Registered
441 Posts

Thanks for clarifying. I'm 'negotiating' with someone. I really like my Hawkeye, but then again I have a good hunting rifle already. Always have missed my stolen KM77VT...

·
Registered
323 Posts

I have several Contender and a few Encore barrels would be willing to try and work out a trade . All are Stainless Steel.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Send me a pm with some details Mr Clean!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Orange county in the French Lick area.

·
Registered
201 Posts

Damn I wish I had something you want to trade. I have a 220 Swift in that model thats a tack driver with a hair trigger...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Pretty much sums this one up too, MooK. If you've got any cash and something somewhat intersting, send me a PM!

·
Registered
201 Posts

Your KILLING me here. I'm gonna go out to the safe, get an inventory and see what you might be interested in. I have the perfect 150 gr bullet on top of 44 gr of Vargret load for this thing.
Mook

·
Registered
219 Posts

MooK said:
Your KILLING me here. I'm gonna go out to the safe, get an inventory and see what you might be interested in. I have the perfect 150 gr bullet on top of 44 gr of Vargret load for this thing.
Mook
Mook I'm feeling you there , I had this rifle in 223 and it was crazy accurate with several hand loads, I suspect my favorite 168gr Varget load would be in love with this rig. Unfortunately I'm not a TC owner and am rather compact defensive gun po0r at this moment in time.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Still available but still considering some offers. Back to the top!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.