Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my full scale 12pd- 4.62" bore Tredegar Mortar from Dom today!!!! The UPS man left it in the yard, don't blame him for not putting it on the porch, the box had 110 lbs stamped on it. Thanks Dom, you did a great job on making it!!!! now i got to find time to make the base for it, my winter projects are stacking up ;D here's a couple of pics, look how small the Dictator golf ball mortar(also by Dom) looks next to the full size tube ;D ;D ;D

·
7,073 Posts
6 pounder shot will be a little loose in a full bore mortar. ;D

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
>full scale 12pd- 4.62" bore Tredegar Mortar

I'm sure it will work fine at typical target-shooting ranges like 100-200 yards.

Is it the perspective, or is it my eyes, or are the trunnions on this a lot smaller diameter than the original surviving 12-pdr. Confederate mortar?

·
Super Moderator
16,529 Posts
Aw yes, 6 a.m., no glasses and no coffee. 6 PDR in a 12 PDR bore. I know I preach that windage is a safety factor, but that is a bit much. So where is the smily with egg on my face?

My drawing shows the C12 PDR Tredagar has a 2 1/2 in diameter trunnion.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
>The trunion on Lance's barrel is 2" diameter.

That ought to be fine, remembering the original Confederate item is made of weaker cast iron, and the one pictured is steel. For some reason the perspective of the picture made me think it was smaller than 2" diameter.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cannonmn said:
the original surviving 12-pdr. Confederate mortar?
Cannonmn, do you have any pics of that mortar? one of the books in my Civil War collection is the book from: The Virginia Civil War Battles and Leaders Series- The Petersburg Campaign, The Battle of The Crater "The Horrid Pit" June 25-August 6,1864.............very long book title! anyway there is a picture of the Confederate mortar from Capt. Lamkins Battery used at the Crater. the mortar is located on the Courthouse Green at Amelia,Va. it's just the tube mounted on a rock with a brass plaque. anyway, the book states Capt. Lamkin used 12pd mortars at the Crater. I've never had time to stop there and measure that mortar, have you seen it? I've always wondered if it's "The 12pd'er"

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just took a pic of the pic in my book, here it is........

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
I've never had time to stop there and measure that mortar, have you seen it? I've always wondered if it's "The 12pd'er"
Olmstead, Stark... book The Big Guns, pp. 15 has some information. The piece at Amelia CH is one of five known 24-pounder Confederate mortars.

The book says:

Five somewhat similar but unmarked 24-pounder cast iron Confederate Coehorns are known, as was one of 12-pounder size once West Point old Trophy no. 190.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cannonmn, a BIG THANKS for the info!!!

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
lance said:
the mortar is located on the Courthouse Green at Amelia,Va. it's just the tube mounted on a[red] "rock" [/red] with a brass plaque. anyway, the book states Capt. Lamkin used 12pd mortars at the Crater. I've never had time to stop there and measure that mortar, have you seen it? I've always wondered if it's "The 12pd'er"
Lance,

Maybe that's the original mount..... You know them Southern (Confederate) boys were very creative..... ;D ;D ;D Just think it won't recoil much... :D

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
intoodeep said:
lance said:
the mortar is located on the Courthouse Green at Amelia,Va. it's just the tube mounted on a[red] "rock" [/red] with a brass plaque. anyway, the book states Capt. Lamkin used 12pd mortars at the Crater. I've never had time to stop there and measure that mortar, have you seen it? I've always wondered if it's "The 12pd'er"
Lance,

Maybe that's the original mount..... You know them Southern (Confederate) boys were very creative..... ;D ;D ;D Just think it won't recoil much... :D
;D ;D ;D Hey!!! didn't think of that, me gots lot's of rocks, will save time and lumber too! ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Lance,

Hey, I'm just trying to help you out. This rock idea will also take care of your Shooting Platform issues too....... Just be sure to make a good flat spot on top...... :D :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hope you don't mind me asking, but what does something like your 12 PDR cost?
I have a nice siege motor made during the late 50's already, shoots tomato paste cans, but would like something a little bigger.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
intoodeep said:
Lance,

Hey, I'm just trying to help you out. This rock idea will also take care of your Shooting Platform issues too....... Just be sure to make a good flat spot on top...... :D :D
well since my projects are adding up i think i'll just make a big combo. i'll put a rock on a couple of fence posts, that will take care of the "snow sled" then mortar on front, cannon on back? i don't know, i'll figure something out ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stuffy25thIA said:
Hope you don't mind me asking, but what does something like your 12 PDR cost?
I have a nice siege motor made during the late 50's already, shoots tomato paste cans, but would like something a little bigger.
I don't mind you asking the price, but Dom might ring my neck........... i was kinda worried that he would come down here and take the golf ball Dictator away from me for loading horse apples in it ;D but he is such a good sport, that e-mails back and fourth about building the 12pdr. he wrote that i should be able to shoot a whole canister of horse apples out of the 12pdr ;D ;D ;D anyway, PM or e-mail Dom, he's a great guy and can make you a deal. I do plan on having him make a bigger one too! but i need to finish this one first ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
642 Posts
Stuffy25thIA said:
As I recall, that's a great mortar that you have Jim. Don't forget me, if/when you ever get rid of it. Now I'm really more into mortars than cannons. Blaster (Bob in So. CO)

:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts