Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I was purchasing something for my Encore, I figured I would post my frustrations here. Maybe GB could make a site where people could post their good and bad experiences with retailers/gun/outdoor shops. The good should get good press and the bad should get whats coming.

Tuesday I stopped by Gander in Kenosha WI, because I needed a few things and then remembered that I need a couple extra forend screws for my Encore. So I asked the gunsmith if they had any. First of all he seemed extremely bothered that I was wasting his time for a couple screws. We went over to the rack where they had 3 green laminate forends (there only choice) on display so I could show him what I needed. He took them out then checked to see if they had any (again very rude about it). He came back later and said they didn't have any but could order them and have them in a couple days. I asked if he could just sell me the ones in his hand from the display and he rudely said NO. I asked why not and he said " why do you think.... if someone buys this with no screws!) I replied, getting a little agitated now. I would think that you could pull it off the shelf for a couple days, because I really don't think that you are going to go through 3 green laminate forends by then! He stammered that he wouldn't do it. So I put down the approximately $150 worth of stuff I had in my hands and walked out of the store. Let's see $2 worth of screws cost them a $150 sale.

I'm soooo tired of the terrible service that Gander provided, nearly every time I have ever needed some type of assistance. I have decided that I am done with them. There are so many other choices in my area now Sportsman, (not my favorite either). Cabela's which I have had such great service from its almost amazing and other smaller places that have good selections and good service.
There really is no reason to settle for Gander anymore. They used to be the only game in town, now in my mind they aren't even a player.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same experience a few months ago with a gunsmith at the Gander in Forest Lake, MN. We had went in the see if they could look at an older pistol my dad has and possibly order parts for us. The guy acted as if he didn't have the time of day to deal with us. He was just really rude and act like he didn't want us there.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Gander Mountain in Germantown, WI used to have a real good smith, who went elsewhere some time ago. I think they are a funny store. Most of the time I can't find what I need there at all. I got a great deal at one on a used rifle once, but for the most part I have never done well.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You really should go back there and talk with the store manager.
I have had to do that is a couple of places lately and have gotten outstanding results. These stores rely on good customer service and if the person in charge finds out it's not happening things do get better very quickly.
Give it a try.
Just be polite and let him know your concerns.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Capt said:
Just be polite and let him know your concerns.
This is the most important part when attempting to correct a problem with any vendor. You can count on getting less than you deserve if you start out hard. Be polite and factual. It is very hard for a seller to disregard your concerns when faced with someone in control and polite. It is easy for them to discount your concerns if you are raving mad.

·
Registered
326 Posts
This thread could have been called "__________" is the last place I'll ever shop.

But I prefer it be called, I'm going to destroy company's name because I'm special and I didn't get my way.

Scott B

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
FYI I needed screws for my encore called TC sent them out had them in 2 days no charge

·
Registered
414 Posts
You wanted them to Rob parts off complete rifles on retail display ? And were suprised when they said No ? ::)

I could see if you NEEDED ONE to go hunting that day, if I was the smith, Id of probably helped you out, but to think someone is going to take parts off big $ guns, and risk Not selling them ? Not on my watch lol, thats asking a bit much.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I was a hunting manager for a large sporting goods store for several years. They're still around, but the name doesn't matter here.

That said,

THERE IS NO WAY IN **** I would rob screws out of a stock set and give them to you. Too bad. I'd have ordered them for you, or given you TC's number to order them yourself. But your out of your mind if you think you'd have gotten them out of another gun or stock set. Sounds like you were being an unreasonable jerk and got what you deserved. Now you're here trashing them for protecting their inventory.

Call TC and get them to send you some for free.

And quit your whining for "not getting your way". You sound pretty spoiled...

Man "HIGH MAINTENANCE" people really get to me.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
~Ace~ said:
You wanted them to Rob parts off complete rifles on retail display ? And were suprised when they said No ? ::)

I could see if you NEEDED ONE to go hunting that day, if I was the smith, Id of probably helped you out, but to think someone is going to take parts off big $ guns, and risk Not selling them ? Not on my watch lol, thats asking a bit much.
First of all it wasn't off of a rifle. I was off of a forend. And they had 3 of them. I bet they haven't sold a green laminate forend in 6 months. To set that forend aside for a couple days would not have been that big of a deal and it would have made me put a possitve post here instead of a negative one. Which I have done in the past. Yep I will slam poor service but also reward above average service.

If he would have been anywhere near polite about the whole deal, and denied my request I would have thought nothing of it. Not like I needed them that day.

By the way I did contact the store manager and he was very apologetic. He said that was something they do all the time. And that the guy in question has had a lot of complaints about his attitude and they were working on it. Admittedly with not much success.

I stopped by Cabelas on Saturday and they gave me the screws... They got a good chuckle out of there so called competition.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Glad you got your way....

Teach your children to wine and moan, then the public can deal with them also!

Scott B

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
I can understand why they wouldn't open a package to give you the screws. It wasn't like they sold you a forend without screws, and they had to make good on them. I have found them to be very considerate in most aspects, especially on returns and refunds. Also they can be good on gun trade-ins and buys.

I do have a problem with their pricing. On their flyer in our paper yesterday, they had the new CVA Electra muzzleloader for $529.95. Our local (central NY) chain, Philipson's, has them advertised for $469.95. When I look at the difference in buying power between the 2 chains, you can see what is happening. Gander can buy in the 100's or 1000's of units while Philipson's probably buys less around 100. I have seen the same thing with other guns. It pays to shop around! I also see high prices on their Guide line of clothing. I would think that they would be able to really undercut the name brands, but it ain't necessarily so!

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
If I were working there, I wouldn't be opening up packages to sell screws for $2. Anyone ever seen where stores have to sell opened packaged for X% off just to get rid of them because nobody wants an opened package because they think there is something wrong with it. I don't buy packages that have already been opened because I assume something is wrong with it.

The local Gander near me just jacked up the prices on all their guns buy at least $50 - $100 because now they have a one year warranty on them. It's such a B.S. statement because they'll just send it back to the manufacturer and pocket what's left after shipping. I just go to a local guy for guns. I can't afford guns at gander anymore.

Gander Mountain does have serious problems though. Their stock price will likely be under $5 a share soon and that's not exactly a good thing for any business.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
The last post about their stock price explains why they discontinued the discounts for club membership, military, and whatever. I can't blame them for trying to save the business. Does anybody know what is going on there? Too big, too soon?

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
I haven't really looked at them with a fine tooth comb, but "Too Big, Too Fast" is a good way to put it. One thing I do like to see is in a company is inside ownership (they have 47.5% of the stock owned by people in the company). I think that's a good motivator for people to turn things around since they have their own money on the line. The really bad thing to see is that they have a negative net income. They can recover from that with enough time and I hope for their sake that they do. It'll be interesting to see how their 4th quarter goes, but you can't have stock prices steadily going down and expect to survive.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Seems to me that a few years ago they split the catalog order business off from the stores. Another chain bought the catalog part, and I can't recall who it was. If I remember the story from the papers Gander Mountain had financial problems then and sold off the most profitable part (also the only one with real value) to keep the rest going. I know that they have opened a number of stores since then. I hadn't heard of financial problems since then.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Gander mountain employee's are rather stupid. i was in the guns dept. and they had a gun that would be perfect for concealed carry and i asked to see it. the guy was the head gunsmith and he went on and on about the new bullet for this gun and he pulled out the ammo and forced it into my hand and i had the gun at the same time. i figured well how does this look i am holding the pistol with the action open no locks and ammo for it. i quickly handed him the gun and put the ammo in his hands and walked off not wanting any trouble. they opened another gander mountain in my parts in an old k mart and they had it setup nice and then they closed it and restored it. i can see them going into the hole soon

·
Registered
414 Posts
If I ever went into a Gun Shop that did NOT turst me with Guns and Ammo at the same time, I'd not be back... What in the world is this country coming to when we Complain that people trust us, LMAO ! ::) ::) ::)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts