Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rarely use gas checks but may be going to try some. Anyone have experience with aluminum gas checks ???

·
24,004 Posts
problem I had with them is they didn't stay on all the way to the target and groups weren't good because of it. Im sure a check pealing off in flight upsets the bullet. I don't know if anyone makes a crimp on style. If you try them you might want to try super glueing them on.
twoshooter said:
I rarely use gas checks but may be going to try some. Anyone have experience with aluminum gas checks ???

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've had problem with the aluminium checks as well,they just don't stay on like the Hornady or Gator copper checks do and are often loose fitting on the shank. The main issue seem to be getting the correct thickness of aluminium so that the checks has a nice tight grip on the bullet shank when sized.

The aluminium checks seem to have a bit more spring back than copper,I've read that you can anneal them and make them softer so they grip the shank better but I have a good supply of copper checks and will just stick with those.

If you just want to try a few of the aluminium checks you can buy them by the 100's here they also carry copper checks as well. http://www.sagesoutdoors.com/6-aluminum-gas-checks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts