Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey pards I`m new to this Mortar shooting , I`ve watched a friend with a soda can Mortar a few times and decided to give the GB Mortar a try .
I have found enough info here to get me started with out askiing too many questions but something I have been thinking about while my GunSmoke GB Mortar is on it`s way to me .
Is it possible to make a GB explodeing round ? I was thinking About drilling a hole in a GB and filling it with black powder fuseing it , and launching it 300 yards in the air and haveing it explode in flight ..
I need some tips on how to fuse it , which way to drop it in the Mortar fuse down or up ?
Thought it might make a good fireworks display for 4th of July and NewYears Eve and such .
Thanks in advance for any help .

·
Super Moderator
17,005 Posts
Exploding rounds must be approved by ATF first and are not an allowed discussion topic here. THere are plenty of firworks websites around that can teach you how to make fire works leagally, we are not a fireworks website.

Ranges for golf ball mortars are more in line with 30 to 100 yards. The learning curve for golf balls is long and they really don't make good cannon balls. the do make good mortar balls.

We are working on getting a source for golf ball size steel balls. Exploding round are are boring , but watching the ball go down range and impact is alot more fun.

Click on picture

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Like DD said ATF limits the amount of powder and also has something to say about what materials are used for things that go boom

you must be careful you do not end up making a destructive device, these are controlled you would have to fill out paper work to

build such a thing and pay a 200.00 dollar fee for each one built and be approved to build them.

something else to consider is what a golf ball is made up of under the plastic shell is windings of what amount to rubber bands some have a solid rubber ball

in the center, some have I believe liquid filled centers......... not something you want to be drilling into........
[/color]

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Anyone ever play a round of golf with their GB mortar?

·
7,223 Posts
For those of you who are new to the Montana Cannon Shoot, the shot in the picture was a 5 gallon plastic water jug filled with concrete.

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
Hi Springfield Kid , welcome aboard ! ;) This IS THE place .

forget about exploding shells , honestly if you DO NOT KNOW which end should be up or down ,on the shell then then 'stick around' and learn at the trough of wisdom concerning ALL THINGS muzzle loading cannons .

DO NOT try to make anything that explodes ........

find a nice little mort from a sponser and have fun ......There is a lot to learn , and it is more than one would think . 25 or 40 grs of 3f you can have more fun than ... will be allowed someday . and dirt cheap too .

Good Luck , and be safe . Gary

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the welcome here , I had been doing some reading here and on another site .
I do have a GB mortar on the way already , from a place called Gunsmoke cannons & mortars ..ever heard of them ?
I found them on GunsAmerica site .
I thought I might have some fireworks fun with it at times , but sure don`t want to make something that might get me thrown in the slammer .
The GB mortar I bought is the coehorn type but has an elevation adjustment , which I understand isn`t historical correct but will make hitting targets much easyer for me .
I`ve been playing with black powder guns for 35 years , I went from loose powder and balls to BP cartridge .
I do understand which way a fuse would have to go on what I had in mind , and even the wrap that would be needed on the fuse ...but I was wanting to hear all I could get from some guys in the know on playing with these mortars .
But I`ll stick to aiming at targets 100 yards or so away , this could be fun and not take too much powder .

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
My South Bend Replicas Cohorn has an elevation screw undernieth the front of the barrel .

There is about a Zillion varriations of the cohorn theme .

·
Super Moderator
17,005 Posts
Range is adjusted on a mortar by increasing or decreasing the powder charge.

Elevation adjustment on a mortar is used to change the angle the mortar ball impacts the target.. Might be used to loft a ball over a wall or to increase the altitude the ball is shot so it comes down at a steeper angle for deeper pentratration.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the reference to "crap"? Second time I have seen this term used here, am I missing something? Thanks, BoomLover

·
Premium Member
10,036 Posts
Springfield said:
Thanks for the welcome here , I had been doing some reading here and on another site .
I do have a GB mortar on the way already , from a place called Gunsmoke cannons & mortars ..ever heard of them ?
Yeah, I've got one of their 1 inch Napoleon field cannons. They used to make a large GB cannon and some
great naval cannons, too. Great people to do business with. They make a smaller version of the GB cannon.
Somebody on the board here has one of those small GB cannons.

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
You could always make/buy a firecracker cannon if you wanted to shoot a projectile that goes bang. One of the sponsors here sells them.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
subdjoe said:
Anyone ever play a round of golf with their GB mortar?
I have often wondered what a golf club would do if a foursome showed up and placed mortars at the tee box and let 'em rip :eek:

I can imagine that a GB mortar would be a nice thing to have for your long game. Put I bet putting would be a real adventure.

I have wanted to take our two GB mortars and rent a golf cart to carry them around and ask folks if we could play through. ;D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts