Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you for letting me join this site. I am from Australia and have been involved with shooting, hunting and collecting firearms for the best part of 50 odd years. I have also been involved in dealing and contractual arrangements with the Australian Military with firearms and munitions. This work involved many trips to the USA and Europe which are all finished now as I am retired.
I cam across this site whilst searching for some 45acp load information for a Rhineland Arms conversion I made with an old shot out small ring Mauser I had sitting in the back of the safe. It has come up well for me and I am keen to load up and get out and hopefully do some hunting with it. Although we are experiencing a lot of shortages in powder and projectiles down here and some of our importers are saying that we will most likely not see any shipments for the States till 2023, I still have a small amount of Trail Boss, AS30N and AP70N on hand.
I am thinking of starting off with a 45cazl .451" dia 200gr Speer JHP projectiles with a starting load of 3.9gr AS30N powder, and do a ladder work up with small amounts till I see pressure signs. Not sure on the availability of Speer 200gr projectiles. But if not, I am sure I can get my hands on something else within that weight. If not I will get a Lee mold and hard cast some 200gr LRN projectiles.
I have read through the posts and found some very good information and I am now looking forward to seeing more to read. I am also looking forward to reading posts form other members with respect to their 45acp rifle conversions.
Best regards to all.
Ron Veron.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Lately I’ve been looking at the viability for a 45 acp conversion myself, so definitely interested in seeing your progress! Welcome!

·
Premium Member
10,193 Posts
Howdy and Welcome to GBO! Pull up a chair and sit a spell. This is a Great place!

·
Registered
Stand for the Flag. Kneel at the Cross!
1,030 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Reactions: ron.veron

·
Registered
493 Posts
Welcome from Colorado, USA.
Shortages sseem to be easing a bit here, but at a price. At one time I read that some of our powder was manufactured in Oz, but I don’t know or that’s still the case.

Anyway, I’ll be looking forward to your progress with your .45 ACP conversion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
G'day Scattershot,
Yes a lot of powder is made here for the US market by ADI Australia. ADI is owned by the French Thales Group who produce all their Australian powder's at their ADI plant in Mullwala, Victoria Australia for their commercial and Military markets. Their Powders are mainly based on the IMR blends. You will find powder equivalents in the Hodgdon, Alliant, Winchester and IMR brands that you have in the USA.
Some examples of equivalent powders are, ADI AS30N - Alliant Bullseye, ADI AS50N- Hodgdon International, Alliant Green Dot, IMR 700X, and Winchester WST.
There is the ADI Hand-loader's Guide available at WWW.adi-powders.com.au. But always approach load data with caution as there may be some differences with the burn rate etc.
We also have Winchester Australia here and Thales Aust have just announced that Winchester Aust are now doing the wholesale distribution of ADI powder's for Thales Aust here in Oz. It's also been said that this move was because there is no powder expected to arrive in Australia from the USA till possibly 2023. There is also a possibility that the French being a little upset with us here for dropping a contract for some subs in favor of us getting them from the US. So it isn't looking good for us shooters here in Oz with very few shipments of firearms, brass, projectiles and everything else we need for the sport just drying up. A good friend of mine who imports ammunition, brass, firearms and lots of other good stuff from the USA and Europe has told me she may have to shut down the business by April as she will be out of stock. Needless to say we are a little worried with how things may go for us with supplies here.
I still have one or two things to do with my 45acp conversation before I can load-up and shoot it. And I will post some photos and comments when I have taken it to the range.
Best regards, Ron.

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
Here is my Rhineland Arms kit 93 mauser. Throated the barrel to shoot cast. Still a work in progress.
Plumbing fixture Tap Musical instrument Picture frame Wood
Wood Musical instrument Comfort Hat Fawn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lately I’ve been looking at the viability for a 45 acp conversion myself, so definitely interested in seeing your progress! Welcome!
Here is my Rhineland Arms kit 93 mauser. Throated the barrel to shoot cast. Still a work in progress. View attachment 257243 View attachment 257244
Here is my Rhineland Arms kit 93 mauser. Throated the barrel to shoot cast. Still a work in progress. View attachment 257243 View attachment 257244
That looks a lot better than my rebuild, you have put a lot of effort into it, well done. I am just using a 'well used' plastic stock that's been on the gun since the day I got it. And have no idea how many rounds that went through it, or how many pig shoots it was taken on either. I will replace my stock at some point, but it is just going to be used as a short range scrub gun and it will most likely stay as it is I feel. Ron.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Welcome to GBO Forums from an Old Soldier in Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest - Hooaaahhhh!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Howdy and Welcome to GBO! Pull up a chair and sit a spell. This is a Great place!
Welcome to GBO Forums from an Old Soldier in Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest - Hooaaahhhh!!!!!
Thank you David, I have been to Olympia in my travels although some 20 odd years ago. I went there to have a look at a firearms manufacturing Plant on an Indian reservation just out from Olympia. I really enjoyed my stay there, I spent some time at Olympic Arms and was also taken out to meet another gun smith there. I don't remember her name, but her main work was to purchase retired 50cal BMG's from the military. She would then re-barrel them to 308Win, 30-06 and turn them to semi-auto only. She lived way out near a forest and her test firing range was a number of truck tires forming a tunnel that was cut into a mound of dirt. By the stacks of retired 50cal barrels and the amount of 308 and 30-06 new barrels stacked in her workshop, she did a lot business. Ron.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts