Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like another rain day for the opener...

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
One thing we don't need here in Oklahoma is more rain the ground in my pasture wont hold any more. Mule 11 good luck on your hunt all I have seen for the last month here have been on the game camera. Nice big 10 point I am just waiting for the day he makes a mistake and stays too long at the feeder

Deaconllb

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The back porch stand

Looks like another rain day for the opener...

My camp is in Pennsylvania, just a little over a mile from the Ohio line. Since PA opens on the 30th this year, I have all intentions of hunting the Ohio opener on the 2nd.

Should it be raining either day, this will be my view from my stand. This is my living room window and I have another window in my kitchen 30 feet away with the same view. Back porch is covered. I move my recliner and coffee pot out to the porch, put my coveralls on over my sweats and I'm ready to go.

Not very sporting I guess, but it beats being wet, cold and sick in deer season. If a person has the patience to sit there all day (I do not), they could take a deer every day from the porch. First 10 years I owned this place, several deer were taken from that porch every year by me and my Dad. Lots of kids, women and old timers have taken deer there as well.

My most productive stand is 88 yards from the porch.

Attachments

·
Registered
829 Posts
Wow! I wish I had a "not very sporting" spot like that one! I'm in Pa as well, down in the SE SRA 5D, and when it rains here I watch the Sportsman Channel.....you aren't the only one who doesn't like being sick for flintlock season, uhhhhh, deer season!

Good luck on both openers!......And HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you and yours!!!!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Good luck on both openers!......And HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you and yours!!!!
And the same to you as well my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tango_face_grin: Nice long flintlock season this year. I plan on hunting every day unless the snow gets butt deep. As relaxing as camp is, I get a little crazy if I'm snowed in too long. :tango_face_grin:

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
The forecast for NW Ohio on Monday is cloudy and 39 degrees. That will be perfect if that's what we get.
Good Luck to everyone hunting !

jedman

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
N east Ohio forecast is rain and high winds... I’ll be peekin and sneakin...

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
I took a small 8 pt. buck on Tuesday with my antique Werndl rifle in 45-70. Only deer I have seen . Will be out for does later.

jedman

Attachments

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took a fat doe today at about 4 30. Shot placement could be a twin for this picture including side. Text book... 80 yds. They came in trotting at 50 yds but no good shot so I waited till I had the best opportunity for a shot and started mouth doe bleating. Lead doe was scared and started to run😬 kept on bleating till they stopped and had a second before they bolted and took the best shot available out of 5 deer and scored on a fat doe...

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This was a tough gun season for me. New property to hunt which I am grateful for. Rain, high winds made it tough and I really believe there are less deer.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took a small 8 pt. buck on Tuesday with my antique Werndl rifle in 45-70. Only deer I have seen . Will be out for does later.

jedman
I almost took a small 6 on Tuesday and also the only deer I saw.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts