Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 71 years old and think that I've shot about 1,000 pheasants. About 20 years ago I shot a white pheasant, not an albino as it did not have pink eyes. An internet search showed that it was a different breed of pheasant that is larger than our usual pheasants and it was much larger and had thicker legs. Yesterday I shot two pheasants. They both looked like regular pheasants except that the feathers on one of the pheasant's back was bluish looking while the other looked more run of the mill. While cleaning it I noticed that the liver of one of them was very large as was its heart and gizzard. I don't know how I did not notice it out in the field while skinning and cleaning but one pheasant was regular size and the other was probably 50 to 70% heavier. The larger one had a much larger breast and much larger thighs. And the smaller one was not small, it was a full size healthy pheasant. Anybody ever see one much larger than average? What's up?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, to go on, It seems that there is a lot of variability in the size of mammals. It seems that the size of mature deer, coyotes, rabbits and squirrels vary all over the place. But with pheasants it seems they either get to be full sized or smaller like they were young or did not get enough to eat. And both these two birds had the short spurs of a pheasant hatched this year and neither had a particularly long tail. It makes me wonder if there is some some other subspecies of pheasant that some land owner might have tried to stock his land with? Or was this some mutant freek? If so, I sort of wish I hadn't got him and he could have survived the winter and mated with a lot of hens next spring and had a lot of little giant pheasant to shoot next year. Hope that he had some brothers and sisters with the same genes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts