Graybeard Outdoors banner

Gifted

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  glockmeister 
#1 ·
I was recently gifted a 1911 Government model and I have a few questions about this from the 1911 Gurus.

The pistol is built on a Caspian SS frame. Has a Drake Mfg. Corp. slide that is marked with a unique NM number, also a barrel with a NM unique number along with the barrel bushing also with a NM number. It has a Champion adjustable rear target sight and an extended height front sight.

Now my main question; is this a special gun? Does it hold any real collector value and what would be the value of this pistol. It is not for sale.

I did find the numbers on the slide, barrel, and bushing were unique to the 1964 National Match at Camp Perry in which there were only 800 units built, but have not been able to establish a value. If anyone can help shed some light on this pistol I would appreciate it. Thanks.

#2 ·
Caspin says they've been in business since 1983 so my guess is somebody attempted to build an accurized 1911 on one of their frames using a NM upper half. It might be a real shooter. I for one would like to hear about it when you get it to the range.

I can't help you on the value.

#4 ·
I don't know if id call it a mutt but rushcreek is about right. A lot of people are leary about 1911s that have been customized. even with high dollar gunsmith names on them without documentation from the builder. To easy to slap something together at home by a self proclaimed gunsmith using brand named parts. A Caspian frame is worth nothing if some ham fisted gunsmith altered it. Might be a darned good shooter though. But I can about bet your going to get a low ball offer if you bring it to a gunshop to sell or trade.

#5 ·
The first thing that comes to my mind is the old adage "Never look a gift horse in the mouth." What makes the difference what it is worth, it cost you nothing, you said you don't plan to sell it.
Enjoy it, if it goes bang every time and ejects and feeds reliably (you may have to experiment with different types of bullets and power level of loads to find what it likes) I'd say someone gave you a very fine pistol.

FWIW that combination of parts is worth way more than 4-500 dollars.

#7 ·
mrmurl, enjoy that ''mutt'' someone thought enough of you to give that 1911 to you, a gift. Take it out and shoot it and see how it does, I learned a long time ago'' looks ain't everything.'' Besides that, if my wife and I ever get another dog it will most definitely be a rescue mutt and as Tom T. Hall sang, Old love you, even when you make mistakes.'' Enjoy that gift 1911 and have a great time at the range. Take care, John.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.