Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me renew the meaning of this website! I would like for everyone to examine themselves, look deep down into their treasure troves, and find a way to keep GBO the best outdoor site on the internet.

Just one of many examples:
Brent, thejanitor, sent me a 300BLK barrel that left the factory in unsatisfactory, almost unshootable condition that he bought from another respectable member here in the classifieds. Brent gave it his best but couldn't get it shoot with anything but low pressure rounds. He sent it to me for free and I sent it to JES for a 357 Magnum rebore and rechamber. It shot well as a Magnum and I have since sent it off to be reamed to a Maximum. I have high hopes this barrel will soon become my new favorite Handi barrel. Thanks to Brent and countless others I keep coming back to GBO as my internet home.

I have tried to find ways to give back and, fortunately, have found ways to give back directly to Brent. Remember that old saying, "what goes around, comes around"? That works for good and bad things. Take a look around and find a way that you can contribute to the home of the greatest outdoorsmen on the internet!

Thanks, Dinny

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Brent is a top notch trader and a true gentleman. He and I have had several swaps back and forth simply because we each had something collecting dust and the other had a use for it.
I've given away [/color]lots of things here over the years simply because I wasn't using it and someone else could... barrels, stocks, scopes, reloading supplies, etc.
I don't do it for the money I do it because I have an opportunity to help someone out.

When I actually sell something I price it fairly and usually dicker on the price as well...

I recently sold a very sought after 30-30 barrel here and priced it at $200... knowing full well I was going to dicker on the price and would probably end up at $150-$175 shipped.
As expected I sold it for $175 shipped after the seller asked me if I would help him out and take less... I was rewarded for my fair and honest dealing by seeing the barrel relisted here for $50 more... now say what you will but that isn't what GBO is about... not to me and a few others...
Needless to say I will never deal with that member again...

I remember what this site used to be and I plan on doing my best to live up to that standard. I'll be digging through my goody box and giving some things away so keep your eyes open... ;)

Spanky

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Thanks guys- I have been given things by both of you and several others here. When I am able I try to pay it forward and keep that feeling alive.
MANY times I have read posts and wrote a pissy reply and deleted it before I posted it..... Some of the people just don't "get it" or maybe they don't feel what some of us do here. I like it here and many of these folks I have never met have been some of my best friends.
To all of you who have made this site what it is today, you have my sincere gratitude.

Thanks thejanitor

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
This forum is the best on the net hands down.I have made a lot of friends here but have only met 2 face to face.We all try to help each other in whatever fashion we can on the beloved stepchildren Handi's problems and sins.
As in every case there comes around a few self centered sh*t heads that think they can take advantage of well meaning helpful people and make a dollar off of them.
In the future if I sell something here I am going to list it with a price and a best offer option. That way i can decide if I want to sell it to that individual by taking their offer or politely refusing it. ( I am very sensitive to people screwing my friends around)
Hang in there
George

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
In this morning's news the Pope says "Greed is driving the world to ruin". I suppose we'll see our share of it here. However, the good, kind, generous core of members will remain and continue to share in spite of it.

Pete

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
It goes without saying "actions, speak louder than words".

Interactions, and trades with Brent, petemi, bb, Dinny (Rimbo), JasonF, (sorry if I left out a few guys) among others show their true character, great guys all!

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
I went back to find the mission statement of gbo and not once did I find that you are prohibited to buying and selling for what you want to ask/pay.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
While I do agree with the intentions of those good members here on GBO and all that they have done for other members
I will have to disagree to some extent with their displeasure of current barrel pricing practices.
I do agree that they have increased considerably, even to the point of being out of hand but,
that being said, we live in a free market place society and as such everyone is free to buy and sell as they see fit.
If you have an item to sell at a certain price and someone buys it at that price or even through
negotiation is able to buy it at a lower price, the fact remains that you as the seller agreed on the price and a deal was made.
No one forced you to sell.
You could have asked more or less, that is your decision to take.
Once sold, what the buyer does with it is entirely up to him.
If he re-sales it at a profit, again, that is up to him.
If you think he is way out of line on his price then pass on it.
You are not forced to buy it.
If someone does buy it they must have been willing to pay his price.
That is how free market works.
These barrels are not necessities to life and therefore are not subject to price gouging rules
like let's say gas or food or energy.

I understand where some of you are coming from on this subject but to be honest, it is out of our control
with the exception that we can choose to sell at our own price and refuse to buy at the higher prices.
Remember, we are not being forced to buy or sell here on GBO.
Deals made are of our own free will.
Now, as to why anyone would pay such prices when the whole gun many times would
cost about half the price is beyond me but that was their choice.
I guess they really wanted one bad.
I hold no hard feelings towards anyone who sells on GBO at any price as long as the items
being offered are safe and are not misrepresented!!!

LONGTOM

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let's not forget the meaning/topic of this thread. Please find a way to move on, forgive, forget and Give Back.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Agreed Long Tom.

IMHO, we must remember the bigger picture... That is that we enjoy the freedom to do as we desire.
I have "given" or passed on items to most all who have posted here. (Many others as well, freely and without strings) Not because I wanted anything, Just because I feel I am lucky enough to "have" and want to pass that around. Most these things where acquired by me either in the same manor or for next to nothing or as part of a larger purchase. I truly am happy to help people out when I can.

Now I have sold a few things on here, but I have sold allot more on ebay. NEVER, did I ask (start the bidding) more than my cost or its fair value, but many times received much more.

Kudos to Dinny for this posting and his championing this pay it forward thread, but the guy who dosen't have quite the disposable income is NO LESS a good guy because he is unable to "give" to others. Either monetary or physical items.

Just saying, lets not loose site larger picture as we climb on our (high) horses. ;) ;)

CW

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
I'll give a perspective from both sides of the coin.

I've been on here for quite a while now and have received lots of generosity from various members. That's what makes this place great. As a single father with custody of my kids that has been greatly appreciated. There have been times where I was able to give back, too. One Easter a longtime member here had his .357 Handi stolen. At the time I was in a position to give (I was still married at the time) so I sent him my .357 barrel free of charge but being the standup guy that he is he insisted on paying. Instead of keeping the money I donated it to the GBO server fund.

Now from the other side of the coin, like I mentioned before I have custody of my kids now and receive no child support or financial help from my ex. I've had to sell off many Handis and other guns over the years to pay for things like summer camp for the kids or other things related to being a parent. My kids come before guns obviously so in a situation like that I've been glad to sell things for whatever the market will bear because let's face it, I needed the money.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Doublebass73 said:

I've been on here for quite a while now and have received lots of generosity from various members. That's what makes this place great. As a single father with custody of my kids that has been greatly appreciated. There have been times where I was able to give back, too. One Easter a longtime member here had his .357 Handi stolen. At the time I was in a position to give (I was still married at the time) so I sent him my .357 barrel free of charge but being the standup guy that he is he insisted on paying. Instead of keeping the money I donated it to the GBO server fund.

Now from the other side of the coin, like I mentioned before I have custody of my kids now and receive no child support or financial help from my ex. I've had to sell off many Handis and other guns over the years to pay for things like summer camp for the kids or other things related to being a parent. My kids come before guns obviously so in a situation like that I've been glad to sell things for whatever the market will bear because let's face it, I needed the money.

I've got enough pieces and parts in the goody box to put together a good shotgun for the kids. ;D Send me your address and ffl info and I'll send you a good 12ga. barrel and frame with your choice of stocks..
Would you like it with wood or synthetic stocks?

I think I've got a couple 20ga. shorty barrels too if that'd be better for them.

Just let me know what would work best for you and the kids and I'll get the ball rolling. :)

Spanky

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
Spanky said:
Doublebass73 said:

I've got enough pieces and parts in the goody box to put together a good shotgun for the kids. ;D Send me your address and ffl info and I'll send you a good 12ga. barrel and frame with your choice of stocks..
Would you like it with wood or synthetic stocks?

I think I've got a couple 20ga. shorty barrels too if that'd be better for them.

Just let me know what would work best for you and the kids and I'll get the ball rolling. :)

Spanky
Spanky,

All I have to say is wow and thank you brother!! I am very humbled by your generous offer, you and many others here are the reason why this has always been the best forum ever! My son is all set for guns, he has worked and saved up to buy his own gun but my daughters don't have one so they could both use this. A 12 gauge would be great since we already have ammo for that in the house. Wood stocks would be great too. I'll send you a PM. I will definitely return this favor to someone else someday too, that's what it's all about

Thanks again,
Dave

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
I've got ya covered!
There's a perfect 27.5" modified choke barrel in the goody box and a couple nice wood sets to go with it.
The frame had a professional trigger job done and breaks right at 3 lbs... I had it duracoated black when the trigger was done. It's a sweet shooting shotgun and it'll serve you guys well. :)

Spanky

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Spanky said:
I've got ya covered!
There's a perfect 27.5" modified choke barrel in the goody box and a couple nice wood sets to go with it.
The frame had a professional trigger job done and breaks right at 3 lbs... I had it duracoated black when the trigger was done. It's a sweet shooting shotgun and it'll serve you guys well. :)

Spanky
GOOD JOB Brother Spank! ;) ;D ;D ;D

Good job Dinny for giving this wheels!

CW

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
Spanky said:
I've got ya covered!

Spanky
I love the sound of that Spanky! It is much much appreciated. Thanks to Dinny too for starting this and reminding us all what a cool place this is and what has always made it the best on the web. I'll post up some pics of my daughter shooting this when it's here

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
CW,
I got your box in today's mail. Those brass are shiny!

Thanks, Dinny

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Dinny said:
CW,
I got your box in today's mail. Those brass are shiny!

Thanks, Dinny
;D ;D Shiny like a hiney.. ;) ;)

Yea, I tumbled them, to get the lube off. I use imperial for forming cases. Be sure the flash holes are clear! (You probably know this)

CW

1 - 20 of 24 Posts