Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be glass bedding my Ruger 77 257 Roberts with tang safety real soon and was wondering about any peculiarities or specific differences from say a Rem 700. I have done 2 Rem 700's with good results. But the angled recoil lug screw on the Ruger has me a bit concerned.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
hohum,
The only thing I do different for the model 77 is only use a rear guide screw. Don't try to use one in that stupid angled frt screw hole(the answer to a problem that didn't exist). I leave two small pads of the orignal bedding to control the depth, and drill the front screw hole after the glass has set up. Just like other rifles the only part of the recoil lug that touches the glass is the back side. Mask off the angled front and sides. The rear is done without the saftey rod on the gun, cut a channel for it to move in after the glass is done. You also cut away the depth pads afterwards. I mix in extra glass floc for extra strength behind that rather short recoil shoulder.

I do glass bedding regularly but I charge 50% extra for Ruger Model 77"s they can be a PITA! Just think thru each step before you mix the glass and you'll be OK. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was more difficult then the remington. I know now what you mean about the front action screw. This wasn't that easy a job. Got it done though. I hate Brownells Acraglas, runny and does not stay where you want it. Everything released fine though. I used microbed on the other rifles and llike it much better. Have not noticed any improvment in group size but erverything shoots to the same spot.

bedded the full barrel channel as I did the others.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts