Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is / has used real black powder in their inlines?

I have sighted in with it for my bear hunt and found great accuracy results with it ( 3 shots in the same hole @ 50 yds ) but it is pretty dirty and would have to swab after every shot, which I hate to do more than Hillary Clinton, but I just might stay with it since I have been buying a lot of Goex for my flinter and cap locks (28 pounds of it) and that it shoots so good.

Any ideas for quick field cleaning while hunting? I am thinking that I would use alcohol and a patch since the alcohol evaporates quickly.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I do...Seldom buy Pyrodex, unless its on sale for $5 a pound...Local Goex distributor is about an hour away and its still $11.50 a pound...I do own an inline, didn't load it last year, prefer my flinters...But with 90 grs FFF and a 250 T/C Shoekwave, she'll make one ragged hole at 100...

I wear a Primos bowvest during hunting season, got tired of messing with a back pack, etc...I use one pocket for cleaning, I take an eyedrop bottle and take the lable off and put rubbing alcohol, and a small bottle of Rem Oil and patches in a zip lock and I'm good to go...Another pocket gets the speed loaders and the primed discs....I don't load my inline after a shot without cleaning.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use Swiss 3f in my inlines but I shoot conicals so loading 2 or 3 times without cleaning is no big deal.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I often wonder how people ever shot muzzleloaders before powder substitutes were made. LOL J/K I have a new cva optima elite. The only thing that would shoot accurately in it is goex ffg 90 grains under a 200 grain shockwave. Verey good shooter and yes I do swab between shots. I do the same with js Gold pyrodex or 777. Just a habit from the old days and I want the best accuracy. However when I shot a deer last sunday, I reloaded without swabbing and it loaded and shot with no problem.,

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've used Goex, Elephant and Swiss in my LK-93. They all work but there is no avoiding the spit patch between shots with any of them. Swiss was the best, comparable to 777 as far as clean shooting but I still had to spit patch between shots with sabots in order to have the greatest accuracy and not break my ramrod on the second shot. I have since switched to T/C Shockwaves with the super glide sabot and I can load three shooting 777 without trouble, but I still get my best groups when I patch between shots.

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
I've found that my inlines are much more accurate with GOEX 3F than with 777 or Pyrodex. I don't find them any harder to clean either.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I use it in my Blk. Dia. 80grs. 3F with gn. sabot & .44 Speer Jsp 240gr. works well fer me. Don't know about 100 yd. groups, as i sighted it in at 50 yds. I can't see out of my 2 ladder stands past 45 yds. max.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts