Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Managed to work some weekends and going to end up with at least one day to hunt the Pa black bear. Never even gave it much thought before but looking forward to it. Probably going to take the H&R 35 Whelen just since its sighted and ready and I might have a med range shot at the farthest. I know Pete would say 45 70 but.... :p

Hope I can post with a success story. My son really wants a real bear in his "outdoors themed" room. ;D

Jerry

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
The Whelen is a good gun for Bear. I have taken Grizzly (up close and personal) and Moose with .35 Whelens. Good choice in the event you find a bear out in a meadow, where the shot may be a little longer. I use the Nosler 250gr Partition bullet.

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
Good luck Jerry. I wish I could go with you.......and yeah, I'd take my .45-70. I don't own a Whelen, yet :eek:. A one day hunt sounds like you may be still hunting. That's a tough way to try to get a bear. When I was a kid in college at the University of Maine, Orono, back when kids used to bring thier guns to school, some high school kids were walking home from school on the railroad tracks and shot a 600 lb. blackie right in town..... Veasey not sure of the spelling.

Pete

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think a 600# bear is out of the question here. Besides I would probably be sneaking away from one that big. ;)
Most around here use 3030 and 35rem. I'm told there are a few wondering around a buddies home. So I'll just be setting near some fields they have been seen passing. I'm taking my 45lc Vaquero just in case one comes in real close. Loaded for bear of course. Thanks for the approval guys. I'm sure its up to the task. I like the TSX bullets but haven't gotten around to them yet. They really can be pushed fast.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot to add that I will be the only person hunting on the property but a couple of groups will be pushing the outside bounderies of the property so I should see or hear something.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Good luck Jerry, that Whelen will do nicely. I haven't bothered to get a bear tag in the last couple years, seems I can never take the time off work. Don't get yourself thinking that you'll never get a chance at a 600lb bear here in PA though, seems they drag 500 pounders to the check stations every year. The PA record (#2 worldwide) was shot a couple of years ago around an hour to the southwest of me.
Here's a link
www.outdoorcentral.com/mc/pr/06/03/06a4a3.asp

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice! Thanks for the link. I live very close to Dunbar...we call it dumbear...now I know why. I will be hunting near High Point Lake.

Jerry

·
Banned
766 Posts
Jerry ,

Wish you much lucky on your bear hunt... I think i heard one this last weekend but never saw it ;) dont think there is anything quite as exciting .

Be safe brother,

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
c1skout said:
I know another area where you could go for bear that might not be far for you, mabye 1/2 hour north of High Point. PM me for details if you're interested.
I really appreciate the offer, but I'm already flying half blind. My buddy has to work so he is just going to give me a general layout and leave me to it. But I know the area enough at least. Thanks again!

Jerry :) Here is the big PA bear. I really hope I DO NOT see one this big. Too much work... ::)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Both my son and I scored this year just west of Timmins Ont. 30 miles from the highway. If any of you are interested in the name of the outfitter let me know...............................he brings in a lot of bears each year...........80-90% success rate.

Good luck with your hunt this year.

Mc ;)

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Good luck Jerry! Want to hear all about it when yer back. DP

·
Registered
141 Posts
I will also be out in PA for my first Black Bear hunt ever. I have always hunted, just never for bear. I'll be in the Tamaqua area of Schuykill County. Good luck on your hunt. Hope to see some pictures.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Boy, it took about forever to find this post. I didn't realise it got moved. Guess I should have stated H&R 35 Whelen. It didn't get to go bang. I saw some sign but no bears. Maybe next year.

·
Super Moderator
51,506 Posts
I think Bill moved it since you didn't mention the H&R, then I forgot about it until I was looking at your posts to see if you had been online and when you were hunting when you didn't get the reamer Saturday. Bear meat isn't my favorite, I ate some once, it was pretty bad, then my son got one a few years ago, glad we had some sausage made, it was the only part of it that was palatable, must make a big difference what they're eating prior to being taken, no matter how it was cooked, it tasted bad. :-\ This was a young bear about 125lbs, he was cleaned, skinned and hung right away and kept cool overnight and taken right to the locker, so it wasn't how it was cared for that made it bad eating. :-\

Better luck on your next bear hunt! ;)

Tim

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
JerryKo said:
Boy, it took about forever to find this post. I didn't realise it got moved. Guess I should have stated H&R 35 Whelen. It didn't get to go bang. I saw some sign but no bears. Maybe next year.
Jerry it goes like that, as I saw the bear I wanted just 2 days before our black bear season opened.... and this guy just did not show up after that.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Better luck next year guys. You know bear stays in through part of rifle season up in the northeast. We spent a Saturday in Clinton county last year. We saw some fresh bear tracks in the snow and even saw a few bucks... but nothing we could get a shot at. Made for a fun day.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts