Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never got into reading this info about the H&R's before but I think that I am really going to like having access to all you guys who are really into this. My greatest single shot loves have been my Contenders, Encore, and an Australian Martini but I have slowly acquired 3 H&R's, all of which came new with the synthetic camo stocks and fore ends. I got a 22-250 to set up for my wife to use in case she sees a coyote or piggy in the pasture near the house. Never have done it, but the stock should be shortened a little bit for her. Then I took in a new 243 when they were still low priced on GB, but it is still new in the box. A month back I wanted to find a 44 Mag barrel to fit on that 243, but I was totally shocked by the prices on the few that I found for sale. So, I bought one of those 2 barrel units from Buds in 35 Remington and 444 Marlin at what appears to be a very reasonable price. My next plan is to build a carry case in which I can place 1 or 2 receivers with stocks and probably 4 barrels. I also have a 20 guage barrel to include and an odd 45-70 barrel that I got into several years back. Since I hunted black powder seasons in Ark every year, we removed the 45-70 chamber and installed a muzzle loader breech plug. I have always used it on a older NEF shotgun receiver, but I think that I can make it well fit one of my H&R receivers. My NEF was what I thought was an ugly 12 guage on which I have never liked the stock, however I do like the looks of these camo stocks.

I am ready for one of you smart guys to advise me on just how much I will like the Boyds thumbhole in Forest Camo. Early on I ordered a stock and fore end. Later I found a fore end that will nicely fit the 20 guage barrel and I do have the end pieces to attach to both of them. I would also like to know if anyone has an idea of how to fit a ring with a threaded bottom where the fore end attachment is now placed on that 45-70 barrel. Hopefully, I would like to fix it so that I can use a full length ramrod instead of that short rod that has to be stretched for loading. Yes, it will probably be a lot of work but should be worth it.

If you have good advice, I will enjoy receiving it and expect to benefit from sharing.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Good morning and WELCOME to your new addiction. ::)

I had one of the thumbhole stocks.

I liked its looks, but it was heavy, long and "klunky" to me. The thumb hole is attractive to me, I like it, but not so much on a H&R its too hard to manupulate the hammer IMHO. The only one thats good in my hands in the H&R Hand all stock.

BUT differences is what makes the world go round, so enjoy what ever you buy!

CW

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
As for cases, I have 3 hard cases that will easily hold a pair of handi's plus an extra barrel/scope.

The problem with doing it that way is weight. Them suckers get heavy fast.

So I have switched over to a soft case.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029KHAK2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

I have a local source for these at a few dollars cheaper at Mills Fleet Farm.

This case holds 1 complete Handi rifle and scope with room for a second barrel.
I do think I need to do a little sewing, make some simple velcro straps to keep things from moving.
That case has an accessory pocket with 5 small pockets with velcro straps for magazines. I can easy slide a factory box of 7.62x39 in one. Or a box of 3 stripper clips loaded with .223 federal military ball ammo.
You get the idea.

By keeping it to 1 complete rifle and a barrel it is much easier to carry to the car, into the range.

So with 1 case I have 2 calibers, ammo, room for a screwdriver or a small cleaning kit.

·
Registered
791 Posts
dieselpowered, welcome to GBO and the world of '' Handiholics.'' We are all enablers here and will do our best to help you increase your herd of Handis. Enjoy yourself here, lots of knowledge on all things '' Handi '' and lots of fun also. Take care, John. :)

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
dieselpowered - I would also like to extend a big welcome! I just want to warn you, for some reason Handi's are like rabbits, you have one, then 2, then............... ;D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.