Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Growing up in ND duck and goose hunting I would always see swans but never tried to hunt one. We are able to get one tag and last year my friend got one and seeing those huge birds come into decoys was something else. So I bought one for this season and we painted some old canada goose shells for decoys, anyone on here hunt swans? Should be a fun hunt

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Never hunted them, but sounds like it would be a blast. Those things are BIG! Hope you get one, and post a pic of it if you can.

Just curious - what kind of loads do you use on those things. Howitzer with beehive rounds, cannon with grapeshot.......?????

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never hunted them, but sounds like it would be a blast. Those things are BIG! Hope you get one, and post a pic of it if you can.

Just curious - what kind of loads do you use on those things. Howitzer with beehive rounds, cannon with grapeshot.......?????
My buddy uses 3in BB, going after them the first couple weeks of October. Should be fun either way

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
I've always heard ribeye of the sky.

Let us know how the hunt went.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well guys I got back from my leave in North Dakota a few weeks ago, it was great to see my family again. We had success hunting pheasants, and ducks. It was a bit too early in the year for swans as I only saw one group of six birds go by out of shotgun range. The season will still be open when I go home on Christmas block leave, maybe I’ll be able to catch a straggler that headed south too late.

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
After you eat him, let us know how he tasted. Good luck at Christmas.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Too bad you didn't get a chance at one of those swans, but at least you got some birds. Hope you have better luck later.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Were you able to get out and hunt over Christmas like you wanted to?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Were you able to get out and hunt over Christmas like you wanted to?
All the sloughs and lakes were froze up by christmas, so I didn’t get a chance at a Swan. My buddy said he saw some big flocks during deer season in November but they were gone by Thanksgiving. I did however do some pheasant hunting with my dad and brother on our farm and we got two nice roosters.

·
Registered
10,333 Posts
I though Sandhills were the ribeye of the sky?

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I hadn't heard that, the Sandhill Crane is the State bird of Nebraska, and a game bird in OK, from what I hear, thus another reason for Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry.
"Rib eye of the sky" great to learn, thank you.

·
Registered
10,333 Posts
GS, growing up here in Florida I never saw Sandhills. It was in NM that I first hunted them. But upon my return to Florida we are overrun with them. There’s a mating pair with 2 chicks in my yard everyday. But their protected here. Can’t shoot them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts