Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the end of the weekend. It will be AT LEAST next weekend before I get to PROOF-TEST this critter. Until then just the pix. One is in 3/4" copper tubing caliber - 1-1/2" 1018 with 5" bore and 1/2x1" powder chamber, the other in golf-ball caliber with same size powder chamber.

[/url]

[/url]

·
Registered
642 Posts
Nice going CW. And what material will you be using to fill the copper cap.
Although I have yet to shoot one of my 3/4" copper tube caps, I filled them with lead but noted the lead shrunk and was then quite loose in the cap. Also, will the closed end of the cap be first out or will the material filled end be first to enter the atmosphere on firing?? Perhaps that is a stupid question but I am curious! :oops: Should be interesting to hear the results of your proof testing.....Blaster (Bob in CO)

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Thus far I've just filled the section of copper tubing with a 'potting' compound - we had a little extra at work. Much lighter than lead or zinc. Seems to work ok - tubing is 0.875" OD and bore is a whisker above 0.900".

Have you considered tinning the copper end cap on the inside prior to pouring in the lead? The cup might just have enough strength to force the lead to pull down a bit instead of shrink from the sides.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
blaster said:
... will the closed end of the cap be first out or will the material filled end be first to enter the atmosphere on firing?? ...
Wouldn't matter to me. I'm assuming the fit is close enough so that it wouldn't be able to turn while inside the bore (and therefore wouldn't wedge) - which is most likely the case. That leaves the issue of how it travels through the air - let us know which works best, if there is a difference.

·
7,055 Posts
Might be able to get away with only fluxing the inside of the cap before pouring in the lead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts