·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
Sounds like your on the right track.
I used a round from new ammo that I pulled the bullet as a go, and some scotch tape on the bottom of case as a no go guage. Worked well once you get the hang of "feeling" when the shoulder contacts the chamber wall. Good luck and post your progress.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Let us know how it goes. You will find the Axis barrel nut and threads in the action full of what looks like very fine sand. It will take you quite a bit of time to slowly get the barrel out of the action and the nut off the barrel. I don't know what this is for, but after you get it all cleaned up things will go back together much better. +1 on using a factory round for a headspace gauge, a real gauge will get you more headspace than you really want. Larry

·
Registered
862 Posts
You will probably want to do more swaps after the first one.... I know I did. As stated above, a new case makes a good go gauge but I take the bolt apart and remove the ejector so I can get a better feel of the bolt closing resistance. I now have a collection of 30 06 barrels I have removed because they are the cheapest donor rifles I have found.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You might want to consider an action wrench instead of the barrel vise. It makes the job a lot easier. Used with a barrel nut wrench, the action wrench makes removal of the original barrel a snap. I lay the rifle on the floor on a piece of cardboard with the action wrench handle under one foot and the barrel nut wrench under the other. A weight shift from one foot to the other usually cracks the nut loose.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
A weight shift from one foot to the other usually cracks the nut loose.
Sounds good, but that will not cut it with an Axis, removal of the nut will be very difficult at best. To keep the action from slipping I drilled a hole and pinned it into one of the vent holes. Larry

·
Registered
323 Posts
It worked on my left hand Axis. My problem was that the salts on the barrel made it impossible to remove the barrel nut from the barrel. The nut was frozen solid. I wound up using a Dremel to cut the nut off.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
all changed over and ready to go. that was alot easier than i thought it would be. just used a sized dummy round to check head space. hopefully i get a chance to put a few round through it tomorrow to try it out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
Well, how did she do?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I am a little late on this thread. I have changed several barrels out. I have a barrel nut wrench, action wrench and a barrel vice. I can use this set up for swapping out Remington barrels too. There is not a barrel I can not change out. The barrel nut has a square 1/2" hole in it, that I can put a long 1/2" breaker bar in and I have a 36" pipe I can slide over the action wrench handle. The action wrench has a hole in it that I can put a screw that goes into the action to lock it in. I can break any barrel/action loose. I have used both go-gages and cases, I think I have had the best luck with cases, but either way works.

Good Luck and Good Shooting

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
I also use a case to set headspace. As long as one understands the "feel" associated with the process, it is no different than using a go gauge. After setting with a case, I cycle all the cases that I will be loading for the rifle, plus any factory loads that may be used, through the chamber. It is "too much" headspace that causes problems, and I feel that using this method, I keep the setting on the "snug" side of the tolerance. Anyway, it has always worked for me, and through many barrel changes, I have not bought or used a go gauge for many years.

JMHO...JUST SAYIN :) Thanks......Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts