Graybeard Outdoors banner

Gonnes-a-blazing

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Cat Whisperer 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Cat Whisperer said:
Claypipe -

Good video's!

I like your test stand too. Good use of eye and ear protection!

That's one of your larger bore 'gonnes is it not?
That one is not one of my design. It is a Jupiter Model, Siege Breaker made by Handgonne Designs, aka Graywolf at handgonnes.com. It is a 4-bore, 1.00" lobbing a .995 ball.

I was using pyrodex, as I live in the police state of Massachusetts. I hope to have some future clips using BP.

All shots were fired 15 yards from target.

The first shot was the manual recommended load of 65 grains. The following loads were 100-110 grains, all with in the safe zone. Notice the sharper reports of the third and fourth clips in comparision to the first clip. The crack of the report tells me that I am close to the optimum load for this gonne.

The first shot flew down range about 40 feet, hit the ground and bounced groin high into the target. The other shots flew true center mass of a human size, that size not shape, target. They also penetrated the car door. I recovered 2 of the 5 balls fired. I will post photos of these later.

#6 ·
Claypipe,

Great videos! Regarding your commentary at the end of clip 4, I hate it when that happens! :oops: It reminds me of a time I was shooting a bunch of different handguns at my private range. While packing everything up I noticed I had one loose .357 mag round remaining from a box of my reloads and without thinking, I chambered it in a 2" snubby and let it fly downrange with no earplugs or earmuffs in place. I think my ears rang for a week. :roll:

#7 ·
Agree with you - sound of report and velocity/pressure go hand in hand.

Quite some power to go through a car door! Probably left quite an impression on anyone wearing a breast plate too.

Pyrodex? I've always had a tough time getting it to ignite and burn well with out mixing in a little real black powder; but that's with the 4.5".

Tax-a-chussets! I was stationed there for a couple of years at Ft. Devens. I guess it's just a campus now. Off by the old hospital there is where Goddard flew his first liquid fueled rocket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.