Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Forum

I'm from the city of Manchester, England - but the countryside is not too far away. I'm involved in shooting rabbits and foxes for meat and as pest-control on local farms. Also I do some walked-up pheasant shooting, and a couple of time a year I visit Scotland to stalk Red hinds.

I confess that I have joined mainly to ask a member whether a particular item is still available to buy. However, aside from that I have found interesting reading on this forum in the past, and I hope that I will continue to do so.

'bye for now

Dalua

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Hello Dalua, Welcome to the GBO Forums. This is a great place. Pull up a chair and sit a spell.
Do you use a shotgun for the foxes and bunnies?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome! I rarely use a shotgun for either of those: for the bunnies, I would choose an air-rifle or .22LR depending on the lie of the land and the proximity of houses in the line of fire. Often I take a .22WMR out - which is good for both bunnies and shorter-range foxes; and if specifically after foxes I would take .223 or .22-.250.

Certainly I would shoot rabbits (and foxes: I generally carry a couple of fox-suitable cartridges) with a gun if that's what I had with me when after feathered quarry or squirrels.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I like the truth in the (lie ) of the land...

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Don't quite know why I didn't think of an air rifle, rimfire, or centerfire rifle. Thank you for answering that question.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, a gun would indeed be a perfectly-sensible option under many circumstances. The air-rifle gives me shotgun range at best (limited to 12ftlb ME if not on a firearms certificate), but from the .22LR up, the effective range is much better than a gun and, using sound moderators, much quieter. This matters because the farms are adjacent to some semi-suburban housing - and the farmers and I value discretion!
I do have a moderated 20b and .410 guns, but both are louder than the moderated .22LR - which is practically inaudible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome from extreme NW Mississippi!!!!!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Welcome to GBO!!!!! Sounds like you're quite an accomplished marksnan, maybe some of the guys on here will be getting some tips from you!

You'll like it here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts