Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first pair of prescription sunglasses today. Wow! I should have tried them before. These are better than the fit overs I've used for so long. Great clarity. Expensive, but I think I'm gonna like these. I drive a lot. And when I'm not driving I fish a lot. They should help with both.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
Why don't you go get some good contacts, then go get you a pair of Ray Bans? Same results but you don't need special sunglasses. And you don't have to switch glasses each time you take them off.
Plus they can help you shoot a whole lot better.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
But you don't have to change your eyeballs in some fetid pubic restroom. The bifocal contacts, not so much. Astigmatism, again not so much.

I'm a fan of Rx sunglasses, way better than the clip on crap no reflections etc.

Sent via Pony Express rider through Indian country.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried contacts, and they weren't for me. My days are long and I was keeping the contacts in too long for comfort. And I didn't like fiddling with them every day. Another thing is that I do so many things that can injure eyes, like fly fishing, shooting, and hiking through woods, that I like wearing glasses.

When I was researching prescription sun glasses I found a lot of recommendations for specific lenses and frames from specific good quality manufacturers, but I decline to shop that way for frames. For example, the optician I went to had the highly regarded brands like Costa and Smith, but they didn't fit me nearly as well as a less expensive frame that fits perfectly and is easy to put on and take off. Fit is key for me.

As for lens color, I like brown because it improves contrast, and is good in most of the fishing situations I'm in. It seems like there's a lot of hair splitting about colors of this type, with "copper", "amber" and brown being used by different manufacturers. They're all good. One of the fishing magazines did a comparison and basically said as much, but with a particlular "copper" brand from Costa being the one they liked best by a hair.

I have used gray, and don't care for it. I like the contrast improvement of brown.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I never had to wear glasses the first 50 years , but now I have a long range pair , a short range pair , and a in between pair . If I lose or break one its a trip to Eyeglass rack at Wal mart . I sure wish Wally would sell sunglasses with magnification .

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oldshooter said:
Do you use polarized lenses for fishing? Difference in night and day for me.
I'd rather go fishing without clothes than without a pair of polarized sunglasses. I keep a couple of pairs of polarized fit-overs in my car glove box for friends to use if they don't have polarized sunglasses. I'm eager to see what the new shades are like on the water.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
I don't have a lot of choice I have to wear contacts, if I want 20/20. I've worn them for 30 years now one type or another, so they don't bother me at all. I loved the hard ones for being simple and seeing better.
But one little spec of dust or dirt it really hurt like a tiny torture, the soft don't seem to have that problem.

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
Conan said:
.... I do so many things that can injure eyes, like fly fishing, shooting, and hiking through woods, that I like wearing glasses.
Ditto. Add sanding/grinding, wire brushing, auto parts washing, bullet/sinker casting, lathe and mill work, driving a power boat through a rain storm, reloading, hot salts bluing, acid etching, and for years I was a volunteer rescue squad member where blood and sticky stuff often got sprayed around. My glasses have safety lens, for more than 40 years, and I wouldn't want to be without them even if my vision was perfect.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
You guys are lucky, you must be nearsighted which is the most common. Farsighted depending on how bad is a real pain in the bum. The glasses are heavy, thick, and cause a lot of focus problems.
They are fine as long as your looking straight ahead, it's your peripheral that suffers the most.
Then they catch light from the side amplifying it, stairs or ladders can be a real experience if your not careful.

But my Doctor has told me farsightedness is difficult to correct in some patients with the glasses being about one inch from the eye. Like moving your head back and forth a bit to get a good focus with a scope.
Where a good pair of contacts eliminates all these problems. Or they sure do with me.
Plus I have a nice collection of Ray Bans and Oakley's :)

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
I bought my first pair of prescription sunglasses a couple years ago, I am very happy with them.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wore them in overcast today and was really impressed how well I could see. One,of my big concerns for fishing is that light levels change, and it's been nice to remove the fit overs. Situation is like when you go from a sunny spot to a shady spot while stream fishing, or a sunny day becoming dark and overcast. I don't think the custom sunglasses are going to be a problem for that.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
wncchester said:
Yeah Argent, but you can spot wild ****** on a canyon wall much further away than me! That can be handy too.

You are right about that, I've had contacts before that gave me 20/15. Then I had these really expensive ones they called NASA grade. I think it had to do with older shuttle crewmen, they were $350.00 each back then.
Special order out of Atlanta, man those were the best. Can't get that out of a pair of glasses.
Truncated bifocal, it was like I was seeing better than I did at 16, incredible.
I fell right in with the monos, some people can't get used to them but I like them also.
One eye for up close the other for distance, they really work. And I can read signs at a distance that people with good vision can't.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
The military played around with contacts some years ago to give helicopter pilots even better than 20/20.
They called them Hawkeyes, I don't know how that ever came out. You can just do so much with the human eye
past what it's capable of doing. But even though I can see better than any kid, I take them out forget it.
Conan I would be lucky if I could even see the canyon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts