Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed to stand in few minutes. Listening to some Kari and Billy "Whitetail Ridge". Seemed appropriate.

Be Safe and Good Hunting.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took a button buck this morning with my 357 max.

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
Congrats! I have yet to see a deer where I hunt. :( Den57 shot a nice buck this morning.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Saw two; I was sitting on the ground in a narrow strip of woods between two fields, and they both busted me before I could get the crosshairs on 'em! Guess that this ol' man is gonna have to get back up in the trees! :)

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice buck den57. Saw a few bucks this morning and one this evening, but none I wanted or had the shot opp. Tomorrow morning may be my day! ;D

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hang in there Denny. The whitetail spirit may smile upon you. Just keep at it. You just need 5 good minutes. :)

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
8uck5nort said:
Hang in there Denny. The whitetail spirit may smile upon you. Just keep at it. You just need 5 good minutes. :)
No worries. Once I get past all the squirrels, kids playing on the jungle gyms, and families picknicking, the city park is a really nice place. ;D ;D :eek:

Thanks, Dinny

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dinny said:
8uck5nort said:
No worries. Once I get past all the squirrels, kids playing on the jungle gyms, and families picknicking, the city park is a really nice place. ;D ;D :eek:

Thanks, Dinny
Yup, been there. Out all day in woods and not a sighting, drive home and while going through town there's 6 or 7 deer eating acorns, or all the deer resistant plants around the peoples homes. :'(
And then you catch yourself nervously looking around momentarily and have to make a mental effort to squash the thought of "I wonder how fast I can get a deer in the back once I shoot one". ;) :-X :p ;D

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
I pray everyday for safety. I just guess that I can't have safety and deer at the same time.

At least I heard a deer today. One blew at some other hunters as they approached their stand just before light.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks everyone. Had this deer on the game camera for a couple of months. And had been seeing him off and on for the last week or so, just not close enough for a bow shot. He made the fatal mistake when he chased his love interest that he had been harassing all morning over to a area where I could get a shot on him.

Now, where did I put those summer sausage recipes?

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
After seeing no newer signs of deer. No rubs,scrapes or trails. This guy came in to 20 yards. He met my Gp100. After dressing him had 4 more bucks come in. All were small and young. Not seeing any does, except the 2 at a distance opening morning. So i have 1 for the freezer.

Lonny

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
By the way, i seen 2 little critters in the creek playing. Not sure what they were. They were black, thwir bodies were about a foot long not counting tail. Looked like an otter or muskrat. Have seen either in person so i am not sure. Was cool to watch them though.
Lonny

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Nice deer Lon371! The critters were likely muskrats- I believe that otters are larger.

We have a small creek on the east side of Indy that has a high population of muskrats. I guess that nobody traps in town!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Took these 3 on opening morning in a nature preserve draw hunt. T/C Encore rifle, 357max, 3 different bullets all loaded to shoot to same poa at 100yd. 200ftx, 180ssp, 150Rem CL. The 150 mushromed perfectly but did not exit, 180ssp came apart and I found the lead core, and the 200ftx is still traveling west! Lol. Pretty good start so far.

T/C Encore, 24" heavy contour, throat cut deep to seat bullet out of case for maximum powder space.

Over max book powder capacity, tested safe with pressure trace, 2230fps with 200ftx.

Same poi on the 200 and180, 150 shot same just no pic.

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
Thanks for that report and congrats on the venison. I have long wondered how the 150gr CL works on deer. How fast are you pushing it?

Thanks, Dinny

·
Registered
595 Posts
Dinny, never did time the 150 because it shoots so good and same poi as other two. Dont care. There is a big muzzle flash the lighter you go on bullets with aa1680. I shot the 140ftx last year just to try it with h110. It was near 3k! I shot two big does with neck shots and there was no exit. Bet there necks were broke just from the momentum! Lol. Too soft for anything but precision shooting though or slowing it down under 2k. I am going to be sticking with the 200ftx as my hunting bullet from now on. It disrupts fine at my speeds and is the most accurate, let alone the easiest to find nowadays. Already several boxes ahead!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.