Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son went with me to SC on monday and tuesday. On monday, I got a crack at a nice 8 pt. I was using the 35 Whelen, bang-flop. He was about 50 yds out, quartering away. Hit him just on the last rib, angling out toward the off shoulder. Meat damage was nil, internal damage was most impressive. On tuesday, I shot a nice doe, thru and thru, behind the shoulder. I was using the 7.62X39 on that one. About 5 minutes after I shot, my son was playing peek-a-boo with a doe around a tree. He shot her between the eyes with a 45-70. All in all, it was a very nice hunting trip, and I finally got to spend some time with my kid. He's 27, works too much, and has a 3 yr old with many medical problems. It was a great get away for him too.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Great story ... sounds like all came away from that trip with good memories ... and to me, that is what it is all about.

bjm

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Sounds like good quality time. Enjoy it while you can.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Memories to last a lifetime 8) Ain't that what livings all about? Thanks for sharing. -gary

·
Registered
643 Posts
Daniel,

Great story! Congratulations and not just for killing the deer.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's just what I finally realized. The deer were secondary. My son and I were apart for most of his life, we're just now getting to be friends. I shot the biggest deer, horn wise and size wise, that I ever killed. Yet the trophy was the smile on my son's face. His first deer, after several years of trying. I just wish he'd shot the big buck, not me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts