Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend bought a used 45-70, and called commiserating about its lack of accuracy. I went through some checks with him and finally had him meet me at the range. When we got there I had less than an hour so I had him set two targets while I checked his gun. When he got back I had the scope off trying to tighten the too long screws. The junk drawer in my range box yielded a few, and when the base was secure I lay aside his Tasco from Walmart on sale and put my little 4 power on.

One shot at 25 and moved the scope. One more shot to fine tune and then to 100. Shot a two inch group just over the bullseye off my elbow. ( forgot my rest of course).

This ended his argument about the piece of junk he paid $150.00 for.

Then I had him shoot. He got one round in an 18" target.

My work has just begun.

Ben

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Hahaha, good job Ben!

One of the stores I worked for years ago had a few indoor ranges. I was able to shoot every day and it was part of my morning routeen as I was the morning manager I opened the store... EARLY sop I could shoot. :) I have always been gifted at accuracy, have a wall of awards and trophys to show, that and a buck and a half will get me a coffee...

Anyway I settled too many of these "Want my money back! This gun dosen't shoot straight!" arguments than I can remember. The disgruntled customer would come in proclaim the inaccuracy. I would get called... I would grab ammo, Customer and we both went up to the range. I gave them about fifteen minutes coaching, showed them how well there gun actually shot and sent them on there way. :)

CW

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most folks are self taught and had a poor teacher. It's hard when you have someone who has done it wrong for so long to start them over. This guy I'm finding is resistant to change so probably a wasted effort.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Ben, you did your best and proved the problem was Not the gun. Now if he only will take your coaching to heart and practice he might become a shooter. Thanks for doing the right thing, lets hope it sinks in. Take care, John. :)

·
Premium Member
9,713 Posts
Ben, I'll bet dollars to donuts your friend developed a flinch when he started out with it alone. Try slipping it to him empty and watch him when he "shoots". I have a friend, Aaron, with "Magnumitis. He had to have a .300 Win. Mag. Another friend and I helped him sight it in. John and I were grouping 1 - 2 inches at 100. Aaron couldn't hit the paper. We pulled the dummy trick on him and sure enough he was closing his eyes and jerking. That boy was just plain afraid of that rifle.

Pete

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Might be, but I was shooting Trailboss loads. Can't get much tamer. Maybe rimfire? If he decides to learn I'll start him off with an empty gun and work on repeatable shoulder placement, alignment to
The horizon and trigger pull. Won't need ammo for a little while.

I don't shoot big boomers any more and the loads I make are cream puffs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts