Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, I picked up an 18 1/2" Rem 870 for home defense today and ordered a combination tactical light/laser sight to put on it. I've got some mighty good handguns in the house but for a "Put'm down and keep'm down" gun there's just nothing like a 12 ga. shotgun. Somebody recently GAVE me about 400 rounds of 12 ga. ammo and about a fourth of it is 2 3/4" magnum with #2 shot. That should be more than sufficient. Six in the tube and one in the chamber represents a lot of security as I see it. Of course, I'm hope'n to never have to use it but you guys know the rest of that.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
HEY! I thought it was pretty exciting!! (Guess I was the only one!)

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Dusty. As an old Fart that doesn't see that well in low light conditions, I found it necessary to revert to a shotgun for home defense. I also keep a couple of pistols nearby, but my go to weapon today will be the 870 loaded with 00 buck. I have clip on mine that takes a three cell mag light, I figure if I shoot the lighted spot, I have hit the bad guy. If it doesn't work the first time, try, try, try, try, try again, then go for the .45 if he is not dead, or fled.

·
Registered
28,628 Posts
GOOD GUN !
get some buck shot IMHO !
2 3/4 shells are less likely to cause a short stroke problem and are faster to target !

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Another vote for buck shot. A shotgun is a great choice for a home protection gun. Hopefully it won't get "exciting" for you but the business end of a 12ga is very exciting!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed a combinatin laser sight/tactical light on it and now feel confident it will handle any late night visitor who shows up without an invite. ;)

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
;)
Dusty,
All you need now is a bayonet-------------
Savage

·
Registered
28,628 Posts
and stock in EverReady batteries , cause if i had it i would play , i mean practice with it every day , i mean night !

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
stick with the #2 shot. Buckshot has fewer pellets and WILL penetrate interior walls with enough energy to injure someone in another room. I have first hand knowledge about the effectiveness of #2s at close range and it is impressive.

·
Registered
28,628 Posts
I'll take buckshot !
why would i depend on any shot that won't penetrate a Sheetrock wall ?
any shot gun shell is impressive at 5 ft even a blank load can hurt you up close !
besides i can put my fist thru. a Sheetrock wall and to this day haven't put a fist thru. an attackers chest !
better to train the family and learn in advance where the best shooting lanes are !
there is a site that test the MYTH on the buchshot and Sheetrock !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts