Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few years of fooling around with 100s of reloads, I can't help but wonder if it makes any difference at all what gun powder one uses. It seems to me that the bullet is reacting to a value of pressure that is being applied to it from the gases of burning powder: let's say 50,000 lbs./in. worth. What difference does it make to the bullet what is producing the 50,000 lbs./in.? Any given powder for a certain caliber that can provide that amount of pressure should drive the bullet at the same speed to the same point of impact. Right? I mean, if you could come up with 50,000 lbs./in. from a CO2 canister, wouldn't it do the same thing?

I use my .223s as an example. It seems as I look back over my filed targets, that a given bullet (say a 52-gr. Match HPBT) shoots about the same size groups with several different powders, as long as each load is producing about the same pressure.

How crazy am I?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got a "theoretical" for you &quot

nope wont do the same thing because it depends on how fast the powder reaches the 50,000 mark, how the pressure curve looks on the way to 50,000. take a 357magnum load for an example; bullseye can be loaded to reach 35,000psi but so can 2400 but the 2400 will produce a lot higher velocities.
if i had some graphs id show you how the area under the curve is the work done on the bullet, but i dont have any.

this should be a test and id get an A, lord knows i could use them. after all im at purdue studying to be an engineer

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Powders

ReedG,

Propmahn is right. Propellent is not simply propellant to push the bullet out at a given pressure and velocity.

Different burning rates of different gunpowders also produce differing "ejecta mass". Ejecta mass is the bullet, gases, and residue that is expelled when a gun is fired. All of these things directly affect projectile acceleration, muzzle velocity, gun recoil moments, amount of recoil, barrel vibration, etc, etc. The physics and dynamics of firing a gun with a given ammunition to a given velocity are very complicated.

To the hobbyist/shooter/reloader, experimenting with combinations of bullets, powder, primers is still the most productive (and fun!) way to make an accurate shooting rifle/ammo combination. :shock:

·
Registered
231 Posts

Good gosh!! Don't ever get the rumour going that reloaders can get by with less stuff. My wife's been trying to press this point home for way too long. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
pressure

Burning rate is a perticulaly important factor in semi-auto gas operated rifles. The size and location of the gas port and piston are critical, and this was a factor in redesigning the M-16 in the early years when the govt bought ammo from Winchester to feed in a rifle designed for Remington ammunition. The bolt velocity went up, the reciol buffer failed, the full-auto rate was too high and failures occured.

·
Registered
324 Posts

I remember years ago folks saying Bullseye wouldn't blow up a rifle for some reason or other. The NRA finally tried it & the explosion blew the reciever all to pieces.
The point is : use two or more manuels & never wander off on your own in the world of reloading. A bolt coming backwards through your eye could be hazderdous to your health. IMHO

·
Premium Member
805 Posts

Has anyone mentioned accuracy yet? Burn rate affects barrel harmonics, bullet upset, and a bunch of other stuff, that can shrink or expand your groups.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.