Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post.....Didnt even know about this forum until I started investigating a little about getting another Handi.....My first was a NEF 22-2250, stainless with a bull barrel. I bought it used and for my son's first deer rifle........I know, I know, I'm sure many will say its too small to be used on deer, but He hasnt had a single problem dropping deer instantly, or if they do run, they havent ran more than 40 yards. This rifle is about as accurate as I could hope for.....I'm not into target shooting, and my thoughts for a accurate hunting rifle is having the ability to shoot within a 3 inch circle at 100 yards, and a 4 inch at 150 yards. This little 22-250 is much better than that though.

Well, I went out and purchased a 243 the other day in a HR handi. No frills, but it does have the nicer walnut, wood grained stock, which does look nice. Put on a 3x9x50 Pentax gameseeker scope with lighted reticle. Bought a box of Hornady 100g interlocks with them, and was pleasantly surprised that at 100 yards, I was within a 3 inch circle with the 6 shots I took. This wasnt on a shooting bench, or on sandbags, this was just bracing my shoulder up against a tree, and free handing the shot, which s what replicates my hunting scenerio the most.......

I see folks bashing the handi's quite often for accuracy issues, especially the 243's. If I wanted a competition shooting rifle, I wouldnt of chosen a handi, likewise, I wanted a good hunting rife, and the handi fits the bill.

Really, the only differences I can see between the two handi's I do own, besides, the 22-250 is stainless with a synethic stock and a bull barrel, and the 243 is a walnut laminate with heavy barrel is the 243 actually slings the case out of the barrel when the barrel is broke open. The 243 does not eject the shell, and has to manually be pulled out every time. The 22-250 case slides in, and is flush with the barrel. the 243 has a 1/4 inch overhang or so,........Is this just a design difference, or just a fluke?

In any case, I'm loving the 243 so far.......and glad I got it. Primary uses will be deer, groundhog, and coyote........

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
good to hear it's working out for you.
i've been using handi's for the last few
years after not having one for a decade
or more before that. you'll probably have
to play with loads to get it there, but
they all should do some better than 3 inches.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
WELCOME Grizz!!!

CW

·
Registered
791 Posts
Grizz, welcome to the home of Handi Enablers. Lots of great folks here and they have tons of knowledge on all things Handi. I have three Handis and some on here have way more than that. Take care, John. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome ya'll. I did forget, I do have a new england 12 gauge single shot that I got when I was a kid too.......Great gun, but cant build the muster to shoot it much as you definitely feel the kick for a few days......Like I said, the 22-250 is an amazing rifle, so hopefully the 243 turns out the same for me. I live close to the largest gun store in Ky and they said they bought up a huge shipment of the handi's when they found out they were discontiued.....I arrived on the tail end, and they only had 243, 444,45-70, 30-06 and a few 223 left.

Around here, the 243 is a pretty popular round for deer and coyotes. Was wondering, as far as ammo, what does everyone else recommend for the 243 handi?.......At least to date, I only buy factory ammo, and havent ventured into reloading yet.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I used to have a .243, I always used 100 grain for large critters. Had a varmint load that was a 60 grain boat tailed Hollow point over 30 grains of Dupont 3031. Those rounds were smokin! Killed a lot of crows from 100 to 400 yards out. Can't think of one that missed.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Welcome grizz - Best run right back down to that largest gun store in Kentucky, and buy the 45-70 and 223 before they're gone. You won't be sorry if you get them, but you will if you don't. ;D

BTW did some one tell you that we're a bunch of enablers. ::)

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
OldSchoolRanger said:
Welcome grizz - Best run right back down to that largest gun store in Kentucky, and buy the 45-70 and .223 before they're gone . You won't
be sorry if you get them, but you will if you don't.
^ ^ ^

·
Registered
791 Posts
Grizz, go get one of the 45-70, they are just flat out fun to shoot. You can load them from mild to wild. They are great with cast boolits, just make sure your slugs fit the bore, .459 or.460 usually work the best. Get one and have some more fun. Take care, John. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.