Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Very interesting...learn something new every day! For instance, I always thought cascabel in Spanish meant "coiled snake"...what I was lead to belive, anyway. This article stated that it means "bell". Not disagreeing with that, just wondering. Thanks for posting it! Good historical info! BoomLover

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
There's a conspiracy afoot; all the photographs of the "Governor's Cannon" have mystriously vanished.

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
Try looking for pictures of the Four Aphostiles (sic) at VMI . I was looking for them today . No not photos for sale sites .

I've heard they were small 1841's , but I am not sure ? As there was a serries of simaler guns [email protected] .

I did read and very cool story of VT 's cannon "Skipper" in response to years of berating at football games "Where Your Cannon?" chant from VMI , They Found Out . :eek:

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Gary, the 4 Apostles at VMI are "cadet" six-pounders, lighter and shorter than (as far as I know) any of the US models. They were purchased so cadets could drill with them and maneuver them manually since hooking up a team was a major project and VMI I guess did not maintain that many horses. I do have photos of them, quite a few. lemme see if I can find 'em and string together for a slideshow. Other State military academies bought cadet 6's also, including GA military Acad.

Either Ripley's book ARTY AND AMMO OF THE CW or Olmstead FIELD ARTY WPNS OF THE CW are good refs for cadet 6's.

Ripley's book is outstanding and it has been out so long and reprinted many times, copies should be quite cheap. This is a "must" book in any cannoneer's library.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Cascabel is pure Spanish. It actually means chatting-bell (casca = chatting & bel = bell); hence the suggestion of a rattlesnake. Somehow that might work into the names of critters that were given to classes of cannon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.