Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When George offered up his legacy, I claimed the Radii cutter. I claimed it with the provision that I would loan it out to the folks on the board who may have a need to use it.

So we need some ground rules for this so we can be sure that it is available to the folks here to use.

There already is a problem with this as I am in in Oklahoma and the tool is in Montana right now.

So Gents how about some ideas on how to manage this tool.

·
Registered
186 Posts
One way is you send it to the person that needs it, then that person holds on to it until the next person needs it and ships it to him, and so on. But at some point I think it should go back to you maybe after the last person has it for 3 months or something and no one needs just so it doesn't get lost somewhere in the shuffle.

BTW I need to make a 1" mold :) so I would like to be on the list

·
Registered
354 Posts
Based on another forum with a tool loaner program, I'd highly suggest a deposit of some sort and a person assigned to track the tool, plus a time limit for it's use or return (having the user pay for a provided return-ship label in advance is also not a bad idea albeit more complicated to manage)

Otherwise it's too easy for life to get in the way and the tool to disappear or languish forever somewhere along the way, despite the best intentions of everybody.

·
7,219 Posts
I offer the following idea: start a thread for tracking the tool. The possessor posts that he is forwarding the tool to the next recipient, who follows with a post acknowledging its receipt (send it return receipt requested.) Sender posts receipt of the returned receipt notice. Repeat for each move.

Not perfect and could be gamed but only back and forth to DD would be more likely to keep track of it.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I am still missing some tools that I "loaned' out. The Bard told us "Neither a borrower or lender be". I wish I could take his advice but am still a sucker if I have something someone needs. I think that DD should be the total controller if he is willing. He and he alone would be the shipping and receiving agent with the borrower pre-paying all involved fees. There should also be a 'Uh-Oh' provision for any damage or breakage. There are people out there that can break an anvil.....a person that wants to use the tool should know how to use it and it's limitations.

·
7,219 Posts
One thing about radius cutters is that they more or less have to be sized to the machine so the cutter is at center height. The one being discussed is a 4D:

Models #4D & #4S

Popular size radii-cutters, for use with medium size (12" to 15" swing) lathes.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I never realized this was such a expensive tool. I myself have thought about using it, but I would be scared to now ;D

What would be nice if one competent person with time would possess it, and do little jobs on the cheap for members.

·
7,219 Posts
... do little jobs on the cheap for members.

The problem with "on the cheap" is that the machinist then is subsidizing the "customer" with his time. Perhaps overhead costs compared to a commercial shop would be much less but it would be inequitable to expect the skilled operator to only charge "Guatemalan ditch digger" rates.

Some people do things as favors for those who have earned them.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Why so defensive. I am not ordering anyone to do anything, and surely not for "ditch digger rates" Whatever those are these days. They may be higher than I would even pay ;D

I guess I should have said "for a fair rate".Nonetheless. Just a thought..Nothing more.

Cheap is a relative term anyway. Cheap to me may be expensive to the next guy and vise versa. Sorry if I personally offended you somehow.

·
7,219 Posts
No offense taken. I was trying to explain why "cheap" doesn't happen very often. If you research some of the Seacoast posts (which is where the "Guatemalan ditch digger" reference comes from), you will see similar references explaining why newer products are higher priced than previous ones.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
No problem, I would like to use it but I know my little Mini Lathe and Mill would not suffice to do so from what I can tell from reading the instructions and looking at the tool.

And I am a Hobby Machinist at best. Would be scared to death to damage it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts