Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19,177 Posts
cooter74 said:
That 50 cal is truly amazing! But at my age don't think I would want to shoot it. probably would break some of my parts!LOL
My BIL traded a ruger 308 for one in 300 W/mag and the first shot tore a retina.
maybe you have to work up to it.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
There are some great troops in the British SAS. The SAS is the equivalent of our very best elite services. They also have some fine rifles in those Accuracy international rifles. Chances are, if he had a choice, he used some of our .50 cal sniper ammo. Probably our best .50 caliber sniper rifle is the MacMilllan TAC 50. Chris Kyle said th eMacMillan in .338 Lapua was just as effective as the .50 cal.
Probably the best sniper rifle company now is by far.. GA Precision, out of E. Kansas City.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BUGEYE said:
cooter74 said:
That 50 cal is truly amazing! But at my age don't think I would want to shoot it. probably would break some of my parts!LOL
My BIL traded a ruger 308 for one in 300 W/mag and the first shot tore a retina.
maybe you have to work up to it.

I had one of those Ruger Campsite Scout rifles in 308, it's a light carbine/ rifle. That thing kicked harder than
my M1A does about eight rounds was all I could take.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
its physics. light rifle means less resistance or more felt recoil
my 308 is heavy, and even with the hardest hitting ammo, felt recoil is minimal

that and some rifles have better dynamics

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Scibaer said:
its physics. light rifle means less resistance or more felt recoil
my 308 is heavy, and even with the hardest hitting ammo, felt recoil is minimal

that and some rifles have better dynamics

The Scout rifle is a great design, and they flew off the shelves when they first came out. But a lot of them were traded in for something else after awhile. My deer rifle is a Winchester model 70 in 308 and it
doesn't kick near like a Scout does. I guess your right, I can shoot the Winchester all day long but that Scout
gave me a headache. Would a shorter barrel have anything to do with that?

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
barrel profile adds to or detracts from the overall weight.
a lightweight rifle sheds its weight by having a slim barrel profile
a bull or heavy barrel will add weight to a rifle, as does barrel length
but stock material and shape/dimensions can add to or reduce overall weight too

its a fairly well known trick, add weight to the buttstock of a rifle or shotgun to reduce its felt recoil
more weight = more force to move it

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cooter74 said:
My PA 10 is 308 and it kicks a **** of a lot more than my M1 in 3006! I am going to try a muzzle break on it.

Scibaer seems to know about this stuff, and like your M1 I can shoot my M1A all day long. Even my model 70, but that Scout rifle was something else it was worse than a 45/70. I like to watch the look on the faces of those guys who just bought one of those 223 pistol ARs. When they find out it is not a good idea to fire one of those without hearing protection. :eek: About two rounds then they don't want it anymore.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
cooter74 said:
Yeah like my black hawk 44 mag. they see it and want to shoot it, once!
I heard that! I bought a S&W 44 mag (659?) few years ago; it was barrel ported from the factory and it still had such a kick and was so darned noisy I traded it...

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I have a Marlin .44 mag that I cut down for a canoe gun. 16" barrel and a drastically shortened pull. Even with a pound of lead shot added, it is still not a fun gun to shoot. I set it up for back country trips in Alaska because I didn't like the recoil of a 12 gauge. OOPS! ::)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.