Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Simon here from England, after 30 years being competitive in archery I am now a fairly newcomer to firearms, I have an 1860 Henry in 44-40 a 1866 Yellow Boy in 38 special , an1873 in 38/357 and a Sharps 45-70. Up till recently only shooting the Sharps with black powder. I did try making my own bullet lube and shooting it in the Henry (Uberti) but it made such a mess the lube didn’t work right.
so my first question is what’s a good recipe for lube and is a 200 grain bullet with one grease groove ok?

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the GBO Forums. This is a great place with something for everyone. Pull up a chair, sit a spell, and join in the conversation.
You've got a great little collection of fine firearms, Congrats!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Welcome to www.go2gbo.com from an Old Soldier in Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest - Hooaaahhhh!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,103 Posts
Welcome to GBO2 Forums. There is a plethora of information here and many knowledgeable folk with experience casting, sizing, lubing, and shooting lead. Jump down to this linked Cast Bullet Discussion Sponsored by LBT | Graybeard Outdoors (go2gbo.com)] forum, take a look through that archive, and post your question there for responses from Members here. Not steering you away, but offering a knowledge base of which you may be unaware, try Cast Boolits (gunloads.com) where you will also have to register.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome! Lots of very knowledgeable folks here, and I suspect some will be happy to help with your questions. What part of the UK are you located at?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Haven't had the opportunity to spend much time in that part of the country, still looks beautiful. Hopefully will be able to do so someday! Much of a shooter community around there? Most of my association with shooting in the UK is more around shotguns and upland hunting.

·
23,745 Posts
check out landowers link. About all the knowledgeable casters that used to be here have left. That site is THE site for bullet casting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found this recipe:

200 grains mutton tallow
200 grains paraffin
100 grains beeswax

Mutton tallow is both hard to get and expensive here can I substitute it with Lard?

·
23,745 Posts
old school simple black powder lube for us was allways 5050 bee's wax/crisco shortening. It can be messy but ive yet to find a black powder lube that worked that wasnt. That greasy is the lube floating away fouling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
old school simple black powder lube for us was allways 5050 bee's wax/crisco shortening. It can be messy but ive yet to find a black powder lube that worked that wasnt. That greasy is the lube floating away fouling.
I’ll try that, Crisco is branded as Trex here and I’ve got one in the fridge so I’ll give it a try, does it harden or does it remain soft and waxy?

I

·
23,745 Posts
its soft. Just dont substitute paraphin wax for bees wax. You will have a mess. That is been kind of the classic go to lube for black powder shooters for decades.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome from extreme NW Mississippi!!! I am able to throw one rock and hit both the Mississippi River, and Tennessee.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts